Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How much do you pay a MONTH for child care?

What metro area (or rural) area are you in? How many children? How many hours a week in general is that? And what kind of care is it?

Just wondering - we currently are doing the au pair bit and for the most part are happy but lately a lot of people are having issues with au pairs leaving for "richer" families and honestly I hate that looming over my head. We left the nanny bit because of the inflexibilty and how ingrained some were in their own ways.
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
lovemygirlseques
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much do you pay a MONTH for child care?

I have a nanny twice a week and I pay her $120/day so for the month its $960. She comes 8ish and stays until 5ish. I have 3 girls, but the twins are in pre K in the AM, so she just has the baby from 9:30-12. If I get home from work early, or only have her 1/2day I pay her the same set amount ($120).
We live right outside of NYC.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 kiddos in a church daycare that is approved thru DHS, Brooke is 4 and she actually is paid for by the states because she is special needs and recieves SSI, Corbin is 2 and it is 100.00 a week, so 400 per month. They go M-F 8-430. We live north of Tulsa Ok about 25 miles
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

I have a nanny whom I pay $135 per day (9 hours) but only use 4 days. I live in metro Boston.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I live in the San Francisco bay area. DD is in Preschool. They are open 7-6 and I pay $920 a month. They are so cheap because they are run by a church who owns the property and what not. It is their way of public service.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We live in medium-sized coastal Southern California town. Once DH goes back to work, DS will be starting at the nearby Tutor Time daycare center. It's $257/week or $1028 per month.
That includes meals and snacks and the center is open 6:30am-6:30pm. Although DS will only be there 7:30-3 pm most days it is the same price for anything over 5 hours a day (there is a part time rate for less than 5 hrs/daily). DS is one and he will be in the Toddler room...the rate goes down each year as the children get older.
We looked into a couple of home based daycares. They ranged from $185-200 per week, with the one we preferred being $200 per week. I am a teacher though and most homebased daycares still require the full payment even during sprin/summer/winter vacation whether or not DS is there (I would likely be home with him most of the time on school vacation). The payment is required to hold the spot, so I understand why they have to do it but I didn't want to have to pay for daycare during the 12 weeks or so per year that I am on break. The daycare center was fine with us not paying for weeks that DS isn't there and we can choose to pay parttime or per day rates if he only goes fours days one week (when I have a Mon or Fri off) or during summer school when I am off earlier. So while the daycare center is a bit more costly per week I think it will end up being cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by Selene; 04-15-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am paying my nanny 12/hour for around 17 hours per week. So that ends up being just north of 200.

Home daycare in my area ranges from 225-350 a week.

Center daycare ranges from about 350-450 a week, with rates going down as children get older.

I am about six miles outside of Washington DC in the armpit of America, Northern Virginia.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonchi
I am paying my nanny 12/hour for around 17 hours per week. So that ends up being just north of 200.

Home daycare in my area ranges from 225-350 a week.

Center daycare ranges from about 350-450 a week, with rates going down as children get older.

I am about six miles outside of Washington DC in the armpit of America, Northern Virginia.
amen to that... Its humid there!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

We live in suburban Connecticut and pay $225/week for full time infant care at a local (non-chain) NAEYC accredited day care center. We could send her less than full time but would still have to pay the full price (they don't offer part time spots for under-2s).

We preferred center care to a home daycare for a number of reasons. A nanny would not be cost-effective for only one child but we will be considering a nanny or au pair once we have a second child (and for sure if we have a third!).
Lilysmom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son only attends nursery school 2x a week at $33 per day. I have to pack his lunches and snacks for him. I wish we could put him in full time but we can't afford it.

ETA: We live in the city and DH and I both work but commute a lot so much of our pay goes towards gas. I wish the economy would improve so we could both work closer to home.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote