Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

posted this in DD group, but thought I'd open it up and see what everyone else has to say

so this is my 3rd baby, but I'm still new to more natural living... and since joining DS I've heard people turn down having the vit K shot and eye antibiotics with their babies. I never thought to question this in my other kids, our hospital doesn't do vaxes in the hospital, just the vit k and goop... and my OB has never said their were risks to either (she has never really explained why they do it routinely though either). Soooo... anybody want to give me some facts on this stuff and why I would or would not want to have it done with this baby? I will be askingn my OB next appt. too, but I thought I'd do some background research before I go to her, in case she brushes it off as an "oh it's something we all do, why wouldn't you want to, etc." topic.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

The eye goop is basically used if you have a venereal disease like clymidia (sp?) so the baby wouldn't go blind if exposed to the disease. I don't have any venereal diseases, so I refused it. The vit K helps clot blood, so we used vit. K drops.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
The eye goop is basically used if you have a venereal disease like clymidia (sp?) so the baby wouldn't go blind if exposed to the disease. I don't have any venereal diseases, so I refused it. The vit K helps clot blood, so we used vit. K drops.
I agree. I didn't do the eye drops as I don't have any STDs. My philosophy is why give a baby less than 1 hour old antibiotics if they don't need it? I also EBF so if the child did develop a bacterial infection, I could treat it with my milk (liquid gold!) As for vitamin K, a lot of countries in Europe don't do this such as Switzerland. I really debated between doing it or not doing it, and I ultimately did it, but not until he was a few hours old. I wanted to wait a little so that I could nurse him and hold him before he was taken from me to get his weight and the vitamin K shot.
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

are there any risks to either though? I don't mind doing both, for just in case purposes, if there is no side effect/risk. I don't have any STDs, so I"m not worried there is there any other infection the eye would be susceptible to that I could pass though??
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We refused both at birth. The goop is just in case you have chlamidia, and vit k is for blood clotting. We wanted the day of our son's birth to be the very best and least traumatic possible... The ped at the hospital said that in the past 20 years there has only 1 case of brain hemmorage at the hospital we delivered at. I felt that if baby had the goop in his eyes it would hinder what eyesight he has even more, and I don't have chlamidia, so it really was unnecesary (sp) anyways.
luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

We refused them both because they were unnecessary.

Seems counterintitutive to do things to newborns that are unnecessary simply because they are on the hospitals' list.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899

Seems counterintitutive to do things to newborns that are unnecessary simply because they are on the hospitals' list.
They are not just on a hospitals list. For the greater good people!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
They are not just on a hospitals list. For the greater good people!
Except in cases where the parents are known to be STD-negative and in a monogamous relationship, the eye goop IS unnecessary. I don't understand why more parents aren't informed of that.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post

FYI - CNM and CPMS that are independent and home attendants DO offer these. I've had many clients do both with home births. It's not just a hospital thing.

Ultimately its the right of the parent to choose ANY medication or procedure. It should never be "just because" - there should ALWAYS be informed consent!!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Vitamin K and eye ointment are generally State requirements, not necessarily "hospital requirements". I'm not very familiar with any other states other than NC and SC - but in both of these states it is a requirement by law to administer eye ointment and vitamin K injection. However, it if course is every parents right to reuse the "law" and a waiver is offered to be signed if you do not want the antibiotic eye ointment or Vitamin K injection. This is for any birth - anywhere - hospital, birth center, or home.

We had planned on refusing both - however Levi had some fairly severe birth trauma - a large cephalohematoma and so we decided on the Vitamin K injection since oral wasn't available. We declined eye goop still.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote