Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need to understand something about those not bf.

And I don't want to put this on the ff board lest it be seen as a personal attack.

If you are cd'ing for the a) money savings, b) health reasons, c) environmental factors, why would you NOT breastfeed for those same, among other, reasons?

Bear in mind that I was a LLL leader and DO realize that there is a small percentage of women that are physiologically unable, but I am not talking about those.

I just can't wrap my head around someone doing cloth for any of the reasons above, but feeding their baby expensive, environmentally unfriendly, chemical - laden (and hormone if it's cow's milk formula) formula.

And no flames needed. I posted this on bf support for a reason. And I'm not bashing with the info above, just stating facts that ARE true of most formulas on the market.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
newtocloth07
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

I am a bf'ing mama ...for as long as I am able. with my 1st I nursed until 3.5 months , second was 7months , 3rd was 6 months. 1st and 2nd I decided to stop on my own account, for my own reasons. #3 was actually becoming more ill from my milk, so we had to switch to NeoCate to keep him alive.

As for cd'ing and not bf...I've never met a mother who cd's but doesn't bf- BUT....I am a firm believer that not one parent is able to judge another, unless you can see another parent is causing physical /mental/emotional harm to their child... at the end of the day, a baby needs to be fed. whether it's from a breast or a bottle...they need food.

Solar Energy Producing, Cloth diapering [and cloth diaper boutique owner] , composting, recycling, urban cowgirl.
newtocloth07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are quite a lot on this forum, and, as I said, I'm not attacking their decision; but I am curious as to why since FF would seem to be contrary to the reasons most list as reasons for cd'ing.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know a momma who does cd but ff. In casual conversations she mentioned "not having enough milk". She's a ftm and I'm sure she probably didn't receive the right information to help her understand normal ebf newborn behavior. Or maybe she really did have low supply. I don't know.

My DH asked me not to do cd while his parents visited. He thought they would think I was silly. I said , "but she cd'd!". He said "because they couldn't afford diapers". I said, "then why didn't she ebf?". She often will ask me what I have against bottles. This is where I say "nothing, but if I can make the best stuff for free, doesn't that make the most sense?" and then change the subject and go in the other room and roll my eyes!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I wanted to BF, but wasn't able to because of a medical condition that caused major supply issues, as in, I never produced more than an ounce a day. I got educated while pregnant, worked with lcs within the first few days, tried everything, but it just didn't work. My only "choice" in the matter was a choice between FFing or letting my DD starve to death. I think there are lots of women in similar situations... more than LLL wants you to believe. When my DD was an infant, many people (mostly strangers) asked me questions like, "Is she breastfed?" "What's in her bottle?" or "Why aren't you breastfeeding?" Every time it reminded me that my body had failed me and my DD and put me in the awkward position of feeling like I had to share very personal information about the function (or lack of) of my breasts, often with complete strangers. The bottom line is- MY BREASTS AND MEDICAL ISSUES ARE NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I wish I had the courage to say that to people who asked in person, but I never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
I know a momma who does cd but ff. In casual conversations she mentioned "not having enough milk". She's a ftm and I'm sure she probably didn't receive the right information to help her understand normal ebf newborn behavior. Or maybe she really did have low supply. I don't know.
This breaks my heart. Why can't we just give other moms the benefit of the doubt, especially when they describe an experience that obviously would have been difficult for them? Saying that you don't know whether she really had low supply or not is hurtful and judgemental. Statements like these make me wonder how many of my family and friends thought the same thing about me.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a friend who cds but ff because it was free from Wic. If sposies were free shed use them too.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

Last edited by jaelynsmommy61607; 06-14-2011 at 09:59 PM.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
angely_06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I have a friend who cds but ff because it was free from Wic. If sposies were free shed use them too.

I was on WIC, and still ebf ds. DD was another story, I was 19 when I had her and although I knew I wanted to ebf I didn't have the support at the time. A nurse at the hospital actually encouraged me to ff because "I wasn't giving her all she needed". Thank god she hated the stuff, and I bf until she weaned at 17mo.
Apparently Wic will give out some sposies to Ebf mothers/babies, upon request as well as breast pumps, nursing pads, milk storage bags. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I CD and formula fed.. CDing wasn't for saving money, because we had sposies free to us. I just like using them because they're eco-friendly and cute And breast feeding just didn't work out for our family.. Perhaps the money saved on diapers for some is the money spent on formula.. Save a little here, spend a little there. And breast feeding can be difficult-- especially with out the proper support. So, to each their own
Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalanto View Post
I CD and formula fed.. CDing wasn't for saving money, because we had sposies free to us. I just like using them because they're eco-friendly and cute And breast feeding just didn't work out for our family.. Perhaps the money saved on diapers for some is the money spent on formula.. Save a little here, spend a little there. And breast feeding can be difficult-- especially with out the proper support. So, to each their own
I think you hit the nail right on the head there. BF is hard without the proper support. In this culture (although I believe it is changing) there is a myth that ff is only slightly worse for babies than bf, if not equal...and women are growing up beneath generations of of ff women. The odds are stacked against bf from the get go.
BF is a job. It is hard!...It makes a baby really attached to the mom and that is challenging for many women.
My inlaws have a saying that their third child is weird b/c "she was bf" (for 3 mo. I always say it's b/c she was bf then weaned!). This is the type of thing women grow up around! Now, my sil is on her 2nd ff baby. She bf her 2nd for a month and then switched him b/c it was too much for her. Well, she didn't have the support to get through the rough patch AND did not believe there was anything inferior about formula. It is sad b/c her 2nd wouldn't have a bm for days and would just pass the stinkiest gas. Now he suffers from recurrent ear infections and will have surgery (he's the same age as my dd, 12/13 mo). My DD (bf) is perfectly healthy and has never even had an ei.
It seems sometimes the time you save not bf you will spend on sick children. But, nobody tells you this.
It's a family and cultural cycle like most things.
So, it's not cut and dry.