Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Upper lip tie..

So I posted a thread a week or so ago about my daughters constant fussing and crying while nursing. The general consensus was silent reflux. So I spoke to her ped briefly about it, but he brushed it off (as I imagined he would do). So I continued to do my own research and have since discovered that my daughter has upper lip tie. Ugh! I'm so frustrated. After multiple LC, multiple pediatricians, my midwife and many nursing mothers all observing me nurse her no one caught this?!?!?!?!? I feel terrible. We've been going 4 months with this, she's struggling (but gaining fine) and I've been in pain. We've just adjusted our latch and learned how to work around it without even knowing why.

So now i dont know what to do. Should I get her clipped? Apparently there are different levels of severity and from what I can tell she looks like she's got it pretty bad. She cannot flange her upper lip when nursing, it's always turned in. I think if it weren't for the fact I have such a great supply she'd prob wouldn't have gained so much. It's hard to get a pic but here's my best attempt.

Help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2243508655.jpg (5.1 KB, 146 views)
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Anybody? Also I'm wondering if I should go to ear/nose/throat dr or pediatric dentist to have her checked??
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Upper lip tie..

3 of my babies had that. We nursed through it but beware once she becomes mobile she will bump her mouth and tear it. It bled and was very sore...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went to an Occupational Therapist who diagnosed upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie (very slight.) Instead of getting it clipped she recommended some exercises to do. Your baby's looks similar to my DS's. Very thick. Let me look around online to see if I can find info on the exercises. If not, I can PM you with info on how to do them. But I recommend finding an OT if your insurance covers it!
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay, the website on the handout she gave me is www.beckmanoralmotor.com but I can't find the handout online. There is a list of therapists though so you may be able to find an OT to help you out and look at it. If they do recommend getting it clipped they can refer you to a dentist who would do it. My OT did mention that it can interfere with orthodontic work later (a large lip tie can create a gap that won't close.)

HTH! Feel free to PM me if you want info on the stretches
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell
Okay, the website on the handout she gave me is www.beckmanoralmotor.com but I can't find the handout online. There is a list of therapists though so you may be able to find an OT to help you out and look at it. If they do recommend getting it clipped they can refer you to a dentist who would do it. My OT did mention that it can interfere with orthodontic work later (a large lip tie can create a gap that won't close.)

I had this as an infant and had to have surgery at 13 so my teeth would stop gapping open.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell

We went to Beckman this past Tuesday since we just spent a week in the hospital for FTT. I am not sure they even looked for an upper lip tie because now that I look my DD definitely has it. now what do I do?
& Finnley Evan 2013 [2VBA2C]
NikkiGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just looked at my DS and he seems to have a pretty pronounced one, too! He is not a great nurser and has some of the problems that can be caused by lip tie, like clicking and breaking suction frequently. Thankfully he is gaining well because I have a huge oversupply.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
I just looked at my DS and he seems to have a pretty pronounced one, too! He is not a great nurser and has some of the problems that can be caused by lip tie, like clicking and breaking suction frequently. Thankfully he is gaining well because I have a huge oversupply.
Exactly! Ditto! I am just crossing my fingers that her ped won't be resistant to for the referral.

And all the mamas who are upset they never noticed, don't beat yourself up! It's not your fault.

I wish that medical professionals were more educated on this, could have saved us all alot of heart ache.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a friend who is a PA in family practice and I'm going to ask her to look at my DS. I would really like DS's nursing to get better.