Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't

I love laboring in watering and my most recent kiddo was born in the water. Sometimes when I mention it people look at me like I'm nuts.

Just wondering:
If you labored and/or delivered in water, how did you make that decision?

If you have no desire to try laboring/birthing in water, how did you come to that decision?

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't

Water birth is something I am considering for my new one. I didn't know about it with dd and the two hospitals don't offer it anyway, not even laboring in water I think. So I'm considering home birth + water birth, if I can get in with the one midwife in my area...

So for responses.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really really want to, but can't...our hospital doesn't have room for birth tubs (that's their reasoning anyway), technically I can stand in the tiny shower in my room if I want, but its really small & uncomfortable, I tried it with both of my other deliveries. NO hospitals near us have the stuff to do a waterbirth. And midwife legislation in our state just flat out sucks, so no homebirth here with a midwife
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wanted one. I would have to pay for a homebirth to get it though. The birthing center in the hospital I'm going to has tubs to labor in but not birth in. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy laboring in it though. It just seems to help with the pain from what I've seen in videos and so peaceful for the babies.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
I wanted one. I would have to pay for a homebirth to get it though. The birthing center in the hospital I'm going to has tubs to labor in but not birth in. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy laboring in it though. It just seems to help with the pain from what I've seen in videos and so peaceful for the babies.
When I took the tour and visited the tub the nurse told me that they had many people labor in the tub but not deliver. He was hoping that I would try to deliver in the tub. Once I was in the tub there was no getting me out so that is how ds was born in the tub.

At home I labored in the tub but got out to push. Just that change made things move along quickly so I found the tub to be great in either situation.

There were no labor tubs available when I gave birth to dd. So stayed home and labored in the bathtub. That was harder because I had to actually leave my house after I was so relaxed.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
When I took the tour and visited the tub the nurse told me that they had many people labor in the tub but not deliver. He was hoping that I would try to deliver in the tub. Once I was in the tub there was no getting me out so that is how ds was born in the tub.

At home I labored in the tub but got out to push. Just that change made things move along quickly so I found the tub to be great in either situation.

There were no labor tubs available when I gave birth to dd. So stayed home and labored in the bathtub. That was harder because I had to actually leave my house after I was so relaxed.
Ya I've heard of women having an "oopsie" in the tubs. I'd totally do it but then I'd be afraid that they wouldn't know what the heck to do and the baby would suffer because of it somehow.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

I labour "on dry land" and go about my day and when I get to the point that I feel I need pain relief or I will go crazy, I get into the tub ... for me, THE WATER IS THE BEST PAIN RELIEF I've ever experienced. I wouldn't even consider labour without a tub. Just my opinion

Quote:
Ya I've heard of women having an "oopsie" in the tubs. I'd totally do it but then I'd be afraid that they wouldn't know what the heck to do and the baby would suffer because of it somehow.
Many hospitals cannot advertise that they do waterbirth, for a whole slew legal reasons. Either their insurance carrier won't cover the added liability, or the added cost of being "water-birth approved" and the required paperwork, inspections, increased staff, etc ... is too great. The nurses/doctors/midwives know what to do (we were taught in college/med school), they just cannot legally say "we do waterbirths". But if it happens it's no big deal and everyone knows what to do. Often you'll just have to say, "I'd rather stay in the tub" or simply shake your head when they ask if you'd like to get out. The fact that it's your decision to stay in the tub releases the hospital from a certain amount of liability (in the eyes of their insurance carrier/ legislative bodies)... I hope I explained that without going overboard
* It can't hurt to educate yourself so you or your partner have a plan in case the staff fall apart ... but it's pretty unlikely.

ETA: stating that you plan to birth in the tub BEFORE actually getting in puts the hospital/staff at an increased liability and may actually cause you to not be allowed into the tub. If your intent is to birth in the water, it's best not to mention it until you've progessed quite far or are asked if you'd like to get out.
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo

Last edited by YiddleDoppers; 07-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Nah, they know what to do. Like a PP said, they are trained, they just don't advertise it for liability.

Quote:
This was what my hospital said, too. I just progressed so fast that it was time to deliver the baby and (oops!) I was still in the tub! (Once I got in the tub, I was in heaven... I whispered to DH they would have to pry me out with a crow-bar! ) The L&D nurse started to say something, I think (not sure... I was kinda focused ) but my Midwife kinda hushed her up. So, technically I wasn't *supposed* to deliver in the tub but I think secretly everyone wanted it to happen. I had about 15 people hovering around outside my room because they heard there was about to be a "water birth" and they were so curious! I didn't realize I was creating such a stir!

I loved having a water birth. LOVED IT! I would do it a million times over. It was amazing and peaceful.

The water took away the pressure from contractions and I went from about a 4/5 to fully dilated in less than 2.5 hours. The only sign of transition I noticed was feeling nauseated for a few minutes. Then I got so sleepy - man that water worked well! Then it was time to push baby out!

The water was my pain med. And I could move around freely and easily change positions. I felt awkward on the bed, before the tub was ready. Because of the water, I felt no burning or pain from pushing LO out. He just kinda slipped out and then he pushed off me with his feet and kinda looked like he was swimming. It was so cute. He was so relaxed and so was I. It was incredible.

I was also worried about the *ickyness* of being the water but there was nothing but clear water. After LO was born, his cord broke and blood went everywhere, but if that hadn't happened, I don't think there would have been anything but water in the tub after the birth.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
mamabear25
Registered Users
seller

I had planned a home water birth with a midwife for our Jan. babe, but he came too quickly and we couldn't get the tub filled up in time. I really wanted to labor/deliver in water because I have heard about how water does wonders for the pain of contractions.

But I ended up doing just fine on dry land. However, I'm still going to try for it with our next baby when the time comes. Now I know to have DH start filling up as soon as I feel that first twinge of pain-lol.

Last edited by mamabear25; 07-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
mamabear25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I never had any desire for a water birth. With my last one though (another unassisted homebirth) I labored off and on in the tub...it was a long labor (AFTER being complete, think he was asynclictic and had a huge head anyway) and it was just a nice change. I did end up delivering in the bathtub! Now I can totally see why people choose it. I still prefer delivering on "dry land", though. I just feel like I have more control over what I'm doing that way.
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote