Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
jcprincess.mcm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question need help picking out cheap cloth diapers

For financial reasons (we don't have money and were given sposies) we will use sposies on DS2 due 9/7 until middle/end of September. I've been looking for cheap fitteds and covers for use on a 2-3 week old (expecting 8lbs+). What I've found is the GMD workhorse in Small and using Bummis SuperLite covers. My plan is to purchase 18 fitteds (washing as needed/expecting every night) and 6 size small covers (approx $200) @ GMD.

Is this too little, too much? Are there better options? Husband is concerned about using the washer/dryer just to do dipes (we do have a clothesline for drying, but weather will start to go south in Oct). **Would be willing to do prefolds once out of the newborn stage, so probably in mediums.

My ultimate goal will be to sell the smalls on FSOT to fund the next size (mediums across the board).

Last edited by jcprincess.mcm; 08-04-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: adding info/can't count :)
jcprincess.mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need help picking out cheap cloth diapers

Sounds like a pretty good plan. The workhorses will sale fast after you are done with them so you should be able to make back a good amount of your money to fund the next size up. I would probably add 2 dozen infant prefolds to your list so you dont have to wash quite as often though. I would also probably go with a one-size cover instead of buying individual sizes. It will help keep your budget lower. Econobums and Thirsties sz 1 wraps both fit my little guys from about 9lbs and up.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
GMD workhorses are popular, so a good option IMO. if you a
Have a sewing machine you could make recycled longies for at least half the covers. Also people seem to really love the econobum covers and when they have seconds on the site, those are super cheap. Thirsties has an outlet site that has cheap covers sometimes. And fsot. Starting around 8lbs I really loved grobaby and then flips and then I found the wool love. GL!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
jcprincess.mcm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Question about laundry - we currently use the Aldi brand/imitation Purex. Aldi (at least ours) doesn't sell any type of free and clear. Can I continue to use that detergent, but the minimum amount, or does anyone suggest buying a specific detergent just for dipes? I will probably continue to wash ALL the clothes (baby too) in the Aldi Purex imitation just to cut down on cost (32 loads+ for $2.99).
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would start with your normal soap and go from there. If it doesn't work, you can adjust.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Mommax2in2006
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I find fitteds and covers to be more expensive then say Sunbaby Pockets and Walmart flour sack flats~ Or even just Prefolds and covers would be cheaper

Esp when you can get sunbaby on co-op for $3.80 w/o inserts or $4.30 with inserts included...Plus they are OneSize so they should fit up until potty training too!

Last edited by Mommax2in2006; 08-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Mommax2in2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think you would need 8 covers, especially with fitteds since they have elastic in the legs that prevent poo leaks. We only had 5 covers for the newborn period used with prefolds and it was more than enough.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it looks good, but I think you'd get by fine with 3-4 covers since they have leg elastic. Those are a good cheap option, but if you wanted to save even more, I suggest trying just plain ol' prefolds. If you trifold them in covers they're actually EASIER than a fitted/prefitted with a cover, just as effective, and WAY cheaper. You could get 2 dozen SM sized prefolds from Nicki's diapers and 8 bummis super lite covers for for $116, even less if you use the coupon code "five" at checkout You could even check into one size covers if you don't plan on using them until 9-10lbs anyways. Just a thought GL mama!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
jcprincess.mcm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Because I will be using on pretty much a newborn until they the diapers are too small, I'd rather stay with fitteds, but I am very much willing (if hubby is) to use prefolds in the medium covers. As for the amount of covers, I'd like to have extras since this will be my first time using cloth and there are a lot of household changes taking place all at the same time. Trying to keep simple, extremely easy and fairly cheap, with high resale value.

As for laundry, found ECOS and All Free and Clear at good prices on Walmart's website - only going to cost approx $2 more for detergent I won't be as scared about using!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Ilikenonsense
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love subaby's pockets. 12 diapers with 12 inserts for 60 bucks. Free shipping , super cute and hold up very well.
Ilikenonsense is offline   Reply With Quote