Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
DarCoopsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Fabric for wipes

I was thinking of making some cloth wipes and get away from using huggies. What fabric and size do you prefer? I was thinking of using the cheap baby wash cloths from Walmart but I can't find cheap ones that are thicker. I hated the thin wash cloths for bath time so most likely won't like them for wiping either.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
DarCoopsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

I was just going to post this. I want to start using cloth wipes and I am pretty good with sewing but do not have a serger, or lots of time. What kind of clothing can I recycle into wipes? Any good blog posts / threads / sites you mamas know? Recommendations in general with using homemade wipes? TIA!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
DarCoopsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenson
I was just going to post this. I want to start using cloth wipes and I am pretty good with sewing but do not have a serger, or lots of time. What kind of clothing can I recycle into wipes? Any good blog posts / threads / sites you mamas know? Recommendations in general with using homemade wipes? TIA!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
I found a good video on you tube. The lady sewed them wrong side out turned them right side out then re did with a straight line. I have also read do a zig zag line but have part of the line fall off the side of the diaper (I hope I'm making sense) and it would almost be like a serger stitch.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
philenabean
Registered Users

Re: Fabric for wipes

I have some flannel/OBV wipes that I like, but I actually really love my double layer microfleece wipes. I got them free from a friend. I think a single layer would work well, too, and no need to sew fleece.
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my favorite wipes are velour/sherpa but since i tend to hang onto my seconds i have a bunch of different fabric combos(flannel, terry, velour, sherpa, minkee...) and they all get the job done
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I made wipes that are terrycloth on one side and flannel on the other. I cut squares bigger then my hand, sewed wrong sides together leaving a gap for turning them right side out. I then ironed them to make them nice and flat before sewing around the edge with a zig zag stitch to close the gap. I like having the terry for poo and the smoother side for just wiping down. Be sure to wash your material first especially if you combine types, they might not shrink at the same rate.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made some with fleece and it's kinda slippery, so it took a few wipes just to wipes DD's face clean (can't imagine a poop dipe) kwim. I made some from flats 2 ply serged edge and have been using that for family cloth w/ diaper sprayer as a bidet and I'M IN LOVE I had some soft velour w/ texture and these are my fav.

OP did you check Big Lots, Ross or Target? They have packs of baby washcloths and there's seem thicker Circo or the Gerber brand. These have been what I've been using for DD's dipe changes and I like that they are thick but yet thin enough to get between things.

ETA: I posted in the craft chat asking for advice and no replies. Here's what they look like:

I ended up making a 2nd batch for DH with rounded corners and black serging. He likes the rounded corners..lol.

Last edited by Dons.Donna; 08-04-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added link
Dons.Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
DarCoopsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dons.Donna
I made some with fleece and it's kinda slippery, so it took a few wipes just to wipes DD's face clean (can't imagine a poop dipe) kwim. I made some from flats 2 ply serged edge and have been using that for family cloth w/ diaper sprayer as a bidet and I'M IN LOVE I had some soft velour w/ texture and these are my fav.

OP did you check Big Lots, Ross or Target? They have packs of baby washcloths and there's seem thicker Circo or the Gerber brand. These have been what I've been using for DD's dipe changes and I like that they are thick but yet thin enough to get between things.
I have not checked those places. I will check this weekend before I buy fabric. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarCoopsmommy View Post
I have not checked those places. I will check this weekend before I buy fabric. Thank you.

No problem..I edited my previous post with pics of my 1st batch.
Dons.Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

I think I can do a blind hem stitch...maybe that would work? I am tempted to take the scissors to some old shirts and just cut and use!