Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
MMC- how long is safe to wait??

So I posted something similar on FF, but I thought being a more "crunchy" group here I might get more answers...

My baby quit growing at 6w1d, right now I'm somewhere in week 10. My MW said she will give me until the 18th of this month before she starts pushing the misoprostol or a D&C. My home birth MW said it's safe to wait even longer (but she didn't give me an exact timeline)- she also gave me a list of herbs to help move things along- but I am hesitant to use them, though less hesitant than the other options.
Sigh, I'm probably making this more difficult than it needs to be. The bottom line is I really DON'T want to take the misoprostol OR have a D&C- I am OK waiting, even if it takes 2-3 more weeks... but I am unsure as to how long is safe and when I should stop simply waiting and start trying to get things moving.
I have googled all over the place but can't find any information on this :/ Does anyone know how long is safe to wait???

TIA

ETA: I *finally* started my MC yesterday. So far it's been just fine, like any normal period... We'll see what the next few days bring.
I'm glad I didn't have to resort to the misoprostol or (*shudder*) D&C... I am WAY to much of a sissy to deal with that.
Thanks again, mamas for all your input and support.

Last edited by sheenashine; 08-23-2011 at 10:29 AM.
sheenashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
UCmama09
Registered Users
seller

Re: MMC- how long is safe to wait??

Oh Sheena, I don't know, but I'm so sorry. I saw your post in the prefolds and flats forum and knew something had to be wrong if you were selling instead of buying I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you peace. I'm just so sorry, mama
UCmama09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Crankenstein'sMama0709
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I was 9 weeks & 1 day when we discovered no hb. The baby probably stopped growing a few weeks before. I didn't want drugs or a D&C so I opted to wait. It took exactly one week to start bleeding. I started bleeding heavier 2 days later, I think I bled for 4 more days and I was done. I was told to watch for a fever thats a sign of an infection, I say wait for however long you feel most comfortable. but in the mean time, it breaks my heart that others have to go thru this too. Its been a little over a month for me and I'm still struggling.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks UCmama

Crankenstein'smama, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is amazing how the loss of something you have only had for a such a short time can cause so much heartache. Sending you lots of healing vibes.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
pinknpurfect
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry with my second miscarriage the us confirmed the baby had stopped growing and four weeks later I still wasn't bleeding, my levels were still high and I had an us to confirm the gestational sac had collapsed. At that point I opted for a d&c in fear of an infection.

This miscarriage I miscarried around 7 weeks, and it took 2 weeks to finally pass, I had light to moderate bleeding and cramping but it stopped and my cervix closed. Blood tests determined my levels were dropping so I waited it out. My levels just hit 0 on Monday.

we were in the same ddc. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
Jennifer, wife to Joel. Mother to 3 amazing girls: my adorable twins Justice and Juliette (8-07), and my cutie baby girl Jocelyn (9-09) We are a ing,ing, BFing, BWing family of 5 J's...soon to be 6 FSOT yarn and wool
pinknpurfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Ardenne
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry for your loss

FWIW, both my hb midwife and my OB both told me that as long as I monitor myself closely for any fever or any foul-smelling discharge, I'm fine waiting as long as I'm comfortable waiting for m/c to happen on its own. Infection doesn't happen instantly; you'd have enough warning to be able to do the misoprostol or d&c if there's a need for it. (Probably d&c, though; if there's already infection, they would likely recommend against the misoprostol since it takes several days to finish its work, like a natural m/c, even if it starts working right away.)

Last edited by Ardenne; 08-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Ardenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
NCFlanagan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardenne View Post
... as long as I monitor myself closely for any fever or any foul-smelling discharge, I'm fine waiting as long as I'm comfortable waiting for m/c to happen on its own...
this!
NCFlanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlanagan View Post
this!
Thanks! I really didn't like the pressure of Having a timeline to abide by.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama, but I'm pretty sure of when it died- I had an US only a few days prior and the heart was beating. I've been waiting a while...

Last edited by sheenashine; 08-12-2011 at 08:46 PM.
sheenashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenashine
Thanks mama, but I'm pretty sure of when it died- I had an US only a few days prior and the heart was beating. I've been waiting a while...