Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Chadtelle
Registered Users

Mirena questions

I got my IUD put in on August 5 and I am still spotting is this normal? I'm just wondering if any other ladies out there can share any info about their IUDS. Also, i EBF my DS and since I have gotten the IUD my DS has gone from sleeping 5-7 hours a night to waking every 3 hours like he is a newborn again. Do you think that the mirena is the cause? Has anyone had any similar experiences?
Chadtelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
Re: Mirena questions

I know spotting for several weeks with the Mirena is normal.
I don't think Mirena should affect your son, that could be a coincidence, but something you could bring up with your doctor.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I spotted for about three weeks after getting my copper IUD. It is 100% completely normal. They shouldn't effect your breastfeeding at all.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

I spotted for a few weeks after getting my Mirena in and then off and on for 6 mths before it went away completely. I BF my DD for 20mths after having my mirena in with no problems so I would think it's just probably just a coinsidence
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I had tons of spotting, sometimes constant weeks on end and sometimes on and off, for months after getting mirana in. It lasted 2 or 3 months total probably. Finally things are more back to normal.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

How old is your baby? They go through phases of good sleep and crappy sleep. Its probably just a growth spurt or something like that.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had mirena for3 months. I did noticed a marked decrease in my supply the first month. Do you feel like you are making the same amount of milk? For me, I wasn't engorged ever..whereas before I was in the mornings and sometimes once during the day

Eta- I spotted the entire 3 month...worked great for birthcontrol, we only dtd once! (spotting or no desire)

Last edited by tygr2410; 08-24-2011 at 08:22 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Chadtelle
Registered Users

My DS is 3.5 months now. He was sleeping so well, at least a 5-7 hour stretch at night. Now he is up every 2 hours at night, and I am getting very very tired. Lol. He has been doing this for almost 3 weeks now. I used to be rather engorged in the mornings or while feeding him I would leak the opposite side and I don't have that anymore. I have been taking fenugreek and blessed thistle and have seen an increase in supply but it hasn't helped his sleeping.
Chadtelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

My OB told me it COULD, but SHOULDN'T affect BFing. When I felt a dip right after insertion, I bought a box of mother's milk tea. I think I'm regulated again, though, do that wasn't long. I also have been spotting on and off. I think I'm done, but I've thought that twice before now too and been wrong. I was told it should only last about 3 weeks, but like PPs, I've known women who spotted longer than that.

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
stinkelein
Registered Users

My Mood:

I spotted the entire 2 years I had the Mirena. It cut my milk supply to the point that I was supplementing with formula, even though I was taking fenugreek and eating oatmeal and pumping on a very regular schedule. I could not lose the baby weight and I had no drive. Please, if you are TTA watch your cycles closely, especially if you react to the Mirena the way I did and notice a sudden change, I finally though my body was adjusting to the MIrena, it was not... I was pregnant and had to have the Mirena removed, which could have terminated the pregnancy.