Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
BraydensMommy2011's Avatar
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas, Fayetteville.
Posts: 380
Im torn :(

My LO is now 18 days old and I've been breastfeeding for 11 days and these last couple days I've been pumping the milk out and bottle feeding it to him bc my nipples developed sores and I got mastitis & it was just so unbearable! Now that my mastitis is gone he doesn't seem interested in the breast he likes bottle more so I kept pumping, but my milk supply is close to nothing after the mastitis went away and I'm afraid that im going to end up dry and have to switch to formula any suggestions ?
I got mastitis from pumping so much that I had an oversupply of milk& when I didn't pump ( at night or out in town ) it got clogged. And even when he did take my breast he wouldn't be able to finish it so I'd have to pump afterwards to empty what he couldn't finish.
__________________
I LOVE !! Baby Brayden Born August 23rd
BraydensMommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
smilewithme's Avatar
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,912
Re: Im torn :(

I would say hang in there. Offer breast first, and be patient with his irritability about it (easier said then done). My daughter was almost one month before she latched, and we had a lot of problems. But by two months, she was all set, and fully feeding.
It's not easy for everyone. Stick with it, but do what is best for you too mom!
__________________
Super Busy Mama to two adorable girls!
smilewithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
khbordelon's Avatar
khbordelon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 862
My Mood:
Re: Im torn :(

Hey mama, can you get in touch with a lactation consultant to help you out?

Also, from what I have been told by an LC, you should never pump to empty your breast this early. Right now you are setting up your supply and your "rythm". By pumping after your LO is finished eating then you are telling your breasts to produce more than what he is actually eating...so your milk becomes more abundant,etc... it is the law of supply and demand. The more your LO eats the more your breasts will make. She told me that, before 4 weeks, you should just pump for relief but NOT to empty your breasts.
Once yor supply is established then you can start pumping to empty and collect.
I would leak and have rock hard boobs ( ouch!) sometimes and I would just pump a little to relieve it but never to empty.
DD is now 5 1/2 months old and while I sometimes leak if she doesn't feed regularly enough(like at night and I wake up with a drenched shirt! ) , the rock-hard boobs are history!
__________________
Karine (35) SAHM of amazing DS Quentin (03/07),rainbow DD Audreanne (03/11), Aurelia (11/12) Angel Gabriel (04/08), plus four more
khbordelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
BraydensMommy2011's Avatar
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas, Fayetteville.
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbordelon
Hey mama, can you get in touch with a lactation consultant to help you out?

Also, from what I have been told by an LC, you should never pump to empty your breast this early. Right now you are setting up your supply and your "rythm". By pumping after your LO is finished eating then you are telling your breasts to produce more than what he is actually eating...so your milk becomes more abundant,etc... it is the law of supply and demand. The more your LO eats the more your breasts will make. She told me that, before 4 weeks, you should just pump for relief but NOT to empty your breasts.
Once yor supply is established then you can start pumping to empty and collect.
I would leak and have rock hard boobs ( ouch!) sometimes and I would just pump a little to relieve it but never to empty.
DD is now 5 1/2 months old and while I sometimes leak if she doesn't feed regularly enough(like at night and I wake up with a drenched shirt! ) , the rock-hard boobs are history!
Yeah before I had hard rock boobs and would leak like crazy! Would actually use some of my LO cloth diaper inserts to absorb all the milk !!!! Now that the mastitis Is gone and my milk supply decreased that's history too. It was def pumping that caused my oversupply but now I have an undersupply! BF is really frustrating :/ but I refuse to quit so soon! I'm really against formula unless it is 100% needed.
__________________
I LOVE !! Baby Brayden Born August 23rd
BraydensMommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,708
Re: Im torn :(

Mastitis commonly reduces milk supply temporarily, so you should be able to overcome that, especially if you can get baby back to the breast. You might want to consider an SNS to supplement at the breast--give baby a little bit of extra incentive to be at the breast, while still stimulating your supply and helping him re-learn to nurse.

If you find that you become uncomfortably engorged, you can hand express a small amount just to relieve the discomfort a bit. Your body will figure it out if you let it.
__________________
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
BraydensMommy2011's Avatar
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas, Fayetteville.
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Mastitis commonly reduces milk supply temporarily, so you should be able to overcome that, especially if you can get baby back to the breast. You might want to consider an SNS to supplement at the breast--give baby a little bit of extra incentive to be at the breast, while still stimulating your supply and helping him re-learn to nurse.

If you find that you become uncomfortably engorged, you can hand express a small amount just to relieve the discomfort a bit. Your body will figure it out if you let it.
What's an SNS? Everytime he's hungry I offer the breast first and he'll latch correctly and suck for a couple second then pull away and start crying and I'll try again and switch positions and he'll do the same untill I give him a bottle
__________________
I LOVE !! Baby Brayden Born August 23rd
BraydensMommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
*LizziesLoops*'s Avatar
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Re: Im torn :(

I'm sorry you're having a rough time mama. Mastitis is a doozy to deal with. I really suggest you go ahead and start putting baby back on the breast. He'll be fussy about it at first of course because he's decided he likes the ease of bottles...after all, he doesn't have to work with bottles...it just drips right into his mouth with very little effort. It's going to take a little retraining and getting used to BF'ing again. Take all the bottles and put them away, put the pump away for a while, and just start working on putting baby on the breast and getting him to latch on properly. Don't give him the option of a bottle...he's going to choose easy over work if you do. Just keep offering the breast and when he's hungry he'll start BF'ing again. It'll be rough at first but it really is for the best for both of you. Watch how he latches on and make sure he's latching on properly. Make sure you're positioning him properly so he can latch on the best way. If his latch isn't right, gently take him off and latch him back on correctly until he does it right. Within a couple days, he'll be BF'ing smoothly and your supply will come back up in the process. The stimulation from the baby is what triggers your body to make milk, not the pump. The pump should really only be used when you're away from the baby and it's best not to pump before baby is a month old unless absolutely necessary. Your body needs that time to regulate your supply and both you and baby need that time together to bond and learn to BF together. Slow down some and just spend time skin to skin with your baby. Relax and enjoy your time with baby and don't be on the go so much. Find a day or two and just relax topless with baby and encourage him to BF as much as possible. He's still young enough that he will be drawn to BF'ing because it's the "natural" instinct of babies. If you don't give him the option of a bottle and just spend time with him and encourage BF'ing, you'll both be back on track before you know it.
__________________
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Tooshie's Avatar
Tooshie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey, grew up in Nova Scotia
Posts: 124
Re: Im torn :(

Hang in there Mama! It's hard at first, my DS went through a period of not wanting to BF. Have a day or two where you take a "nursing vacation", just BF all day long, stay in bed or on the sofa, take a bath together. Give him enough from a cup if he really won't keep latched so he's not super hungry then try to latch again. My LO used to do the same, pull off & scream... I think he was being impatient & didn't want to wait for "let-down". Now he's 5 months and we're old pros! We've both gotten much better & he's fast. 5 min feeds compared to the oh, say 45min ones we used to have
Good luck, it's difficult at first but you'll make it! If he's wetting diapers consistently I wouldn't worry (easier said than done) but I worried muc more than I needed to that we were somehow doing it all wrong, when really we were doing just fine
__________________

WAHM keeping my new fam loved & healthy: SD Kaleigh 8/01, SD Brianna 6/03, DS Shay 4/11 & my handsome hubby & soul mate all put up with my crazy demands like eating real food & ridding the house of harmful chemicals
Tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
kocho's Avatar
kocho
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,763
My Mood:
Re: Im torn :(

Hang in there hon. Sounds like you've really been through the ringer with breastfeeding so far. It's neither here nor there, but I'm a certified lactation counselor and I breastfed my daughter. I highly recommend starting over.

Yep, that's what I said. Start over. Someone else mentioned nursing int he bath tub. That's what I suggest as well. A warm bath recreates the birth experience. Lay in the warm tub with baby on your chest and let him do that whole skin to skin thing until he naturally latches. I'd do this at a time when he isn't crying to be fed or anything, so he's nice and calm and relaxed by the water and mommy time.

I also agree that you should put the bottles away for now. If you need to supplement use a cup. Even very tiny babies can be cup fed. Just hold a small cup to his mouth and offer tiny sips. This should help with the nipple confusion he is having due to the bottle.

I also agree with doing breast compression while he's nursing. Do you know how? Press down on the breast where you can feel the milk and press towards the nipple to push the milk into his mouth. Rotate to do the entire breast.

Feel free to pm me. I'll be on pretty often over the weekend. Good luck mama. There are things you can do to up your supply again. But I'm leaning toward getting the baby back on the breast. Then your supply will go up naturally.
__________________
I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
BraydensMommy2011's Avatar
BraydensMommy2011
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas, Fayetteville.
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Hang in there hon. Sounds like you've really been through the ringer with breastfeeding so far. It's neither here nor there, but I'm a certified lactation counselor and I breastfed my daughter. I highly recommend starting over.

Yep, that's what I said. Start over. Someone else mentioned nursing int he bath tub. That's what I suggest as well. A warm bath recreates the birth experience. Lay in the warm tub with baby on your chest and let him do that whole skin to skin thing until he naturally latches. I'd do this at a time when he isn't crying to be fed or anything, so he's nice and calm and relaxed by the water and mommy time.

I also agree that you should put the bottles away for now. If you need to supplement use a cup. Even very tiny babies can be cup fed. Just hold a small cup to his mouth and offer tiny sips. This should help with the nipple confusion he is having due to the bottle.

I also agree with doing breast compression while he's nursing. Do you know how? Press down on the breast where you can feel the milk and press towards the nipple to push the milk into his mouth. Rotate to do the entire breast.

Feel free to pm me. I'll be on pretty often over the weekend. Good luck mama. There are things you can do to up your supply again. But I'm leaning toward getting the baby back on the breast. Then your supply will go up naturally.
Thanks!! Will try the tub and see how that works once he latches and will accept the breast I'll try doing breast compression. I'm hoping he accepts the breast without a fuss by starting over! Bc All he does is scream when I try to give it to him and suck for a bit then stop and scream some more
__________________
I LOVE !! Baby Brayden Born August 23rd
BraydensMommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.