Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anybody collect SSI for their preemies?

Cameron qualified for SSI when he was born based on his weight and my income. He just had his birthday last month, and I was wondering if anyone knew when the checks would stop coming. He has no health problems to speak of, and I'm worried that if they keep paying us, they'll make us pay it back. I haven't received anything in the mail asking for a health eval or anything, but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to supply one, or wait to hear something.
Anyone have any experience in this?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
mmmommy
Banned

Not me.

But my childhood best friend's youngest daughter was born at 31 weeks, weighing 2 lbs 6 oz, in June 2010 and she gets SSI for her.

I think the child receives the money until they're 3, if I'm remembering what my friend told me correctly.
mmmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody collect SSI for their preemies?

I can't be of much help. I collected it on my dd when she was in the hospital. She ended up dying at 5 months and we told them right away that she did die and they didn't make us pay back the $200 that they gave us (which was laughable because parking for 2 days was more then they would give us for the month... but at least it was something).
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
gghmommy
Registered Users

My LO just turned 10 months, so I'd love to know the answer. I was told it would only be available until 1 year of age. I'm sure it's something that varies state to state. Kkeep us updated!
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We auto qualified for the boys because they were under 2lbs but because of our income, the checks stopped as soon as they came home. We were warned by our social worker to nag them until they stopped sending them and it literally took like five phone calls notifying them of their discharge before the checks stopped. By that time we had received like $240 we shouldn't have and we did have to pay it back.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DFS gets it--he was a 34 weeker, but he has continuing needs (no oral feeds).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

We continued to receive it until the boys had to re-qualify at 3 years of age. Once they were discharged, the amount received was based on income, # of people in the family, and how many were on SSI. And yes, if they pay you incorrectly, you will have to return it.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Violet was 1# 10 oz's and receives SSI. I was told she will be evaluated at age 3 to determine if she still qualifies....she won't. They overpaid me almost 3,000 over a year and I'm now having to pay it back