Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
xO_mommaK_Ox
Registered Users

Oozy incision after a week?

Had my c/s a week ago and they kept saying it was "oozy" in the hospital and put dressings on to soak it up. By the time I left it was fine. Now, a week later, I just got up and the whole front of my underwear and pajamas are wet where my incision is. Its not bleeding or anything and i am nervous to take off the steri-strips. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
xO_mommaK_Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Oozy incision after a week?

Leave them on, wash the area and blow dry it and put a pad over/across it. You shouldn't be getting that wet/oozy. Call the dr tomorrow just to let them know.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I would call. My doctors were always willing to squeeze me in for a visit a few days after I left the hospital to check on my incision. Some leaking of fluids is normal as long as your incision looks good. I was told that fluid buildup in the tissue or a pocket of fluid left after surgery can escape through your incision.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Ummsamiyah
Registered Users
seller

Before you call just inspect your incision so you can report on it and give them a better picture of what you are looking at. For example what color is oozing. Does it smell? What does the skin around the incision look like? Have you had a fever or chills? Is it (the incision site) painful to touch, red or swollen? Keep the incision site clean and dry. I wouldn't cover it if you have steri strips and are just in the house. Let the steri strips fall off on their own. But you really should be re-examined.
Just my two cents. I was a maternity nurse for almost 2 years. so I am not just making stuff up BTW. Good luck.

Last edited by Ummsamiyah; 12-15-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Ummsamiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
magoose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummsamiyah View Post
Before you call just inspect your incision so you can report on it and give them a better picture of what you are looking at. For example what color is oozing. Does it smell? What does the skin around the incision look like? Have you had a fever or chills? Is it (the incision site) painful to touch, red or swollen? Keep the incision site clean and dry. I wouldn't cover it if you have steri strips and are just in the house. Let the steri strips fall off on their own. But you really should be re-examined.
Just my two cents. I was a maternity nurse for almost 2 years. so I am not just making stuff up BTW. Good luck.
I was actually going to say this exactly. If there's any smell to the drainage or any inflammation/redness at the site of the incision, it's most likely an infection. If there isn't, it's probably just normal fluid drainage, but it's never a bad idea to have it looked at, just in case.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Emmers22185
Registered Users
seller
seller

I second the blow dryer. i washed mine am and pm and then used a blowdryer to dry it. the heat helped mine stop oozing and seal up pretty quick!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Always safer to have it checked out...

That said. My second csection, the incision "oozed" (was more just watery/wet) for 7 weeks! First csection, completely seemed healed within a couple weeks. So the second time, it was a little smelly, the top of my underwear would be wet....but once I would wash in the morning, blow dry it on low, put a disposable pad against the incision(very gently) and wore higher underwear to hold it in place, then at night wash it again, blow dry, put a new pad gently against it...within a few days it stopped oozing. Before that I was using those sterile gauze like pads over and over and over...for weeks and it did nothing!! The doc said it just wasn't healing because it was too moist in the area.

There was never a concern about infection, and it wasn't painful(well, more than normal at least)...just wet.

So maybe just needs to be dried more diligently?

Last edited by mabelinoad; 12-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.
mabelinoad is offline   Reply With Quote