Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you breastfed when you got pregnant again..

Did you lose your supply? DH and I are NTNP and dd has reached the 6 month mark so I know that my fertility could be restored any time. I got pregnant for #4 when #3 was 9 months old and BFing. But that was 9yrs ago and I can't remember if my supply was affected. I want baby#5 to be able to nurse for at least a year. Were you able to nurse through prenance. If I try to recall I think I was able to last time just wondered what your experiences were.

blessings
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you breastfed when you got pregnant again..

Yes, I think so--but my DD was 2. She always said there was milk, but I bet there was very little. Most women do experience a dramatic reduction in supply because of pregnancy.

I found that I had to limit DD to nursing just a few times a day because it hurt so much to have her nurse! And sometimes nursing just drove me crazy and I wanted to scream. I am really glad DD persisted in nursing through the pregnancy and that I didn't wean her, but if it had been her main source of nutrition, I think it would have been much more difficult for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Daffodil Dolls
Registered Users
Formerly: GiftsfromGod
seller

My Mood:

I have gotten pregnant twice while bf'ing. I got pregnant when my oldest DS was 6 months and he ended up self weaning around 12 months (when I was 6 months pregnant), I got pregnant again when my 2nd DS was about 10 months and he nursed until 16 months (also when I was 6 months pregnant) Neither time was due to a supply issue. My second son might have nursed longer but I did encourage weaning as I did not think I would be up to tandem nursing him and a newborn.

Both times in the first 6-8 weeks of pregnancy the nursing baby seemed to be fussier and not eating as much which I think was due to a change in the taste of the milk due to hormone changes but after a few weeks nursing went back to normal. It is very important to be very well nourished and hydrated as your body will give nutrients to the baby first, you second, and then if there is left over will make milk so milk supply can decrease if your body doesn't have enough fuel to take care of all three people.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil Dolls View Post
I have gotten pregnant twice while bf'ing. I got pregnant when my oldest DS was 6 months and he ended up self weaning around 12 months (when I was 6 months pregnant), I got pregnant again when my 2nd DS was about 10 months and he nursed until 16 months (also when I was 6 months pregnant) Neither time was due to a supply issue. My second son might have nursed longer but I did encourage weaning as I did not think I would be up to tandem nursing him and a newborn.

Both times in the first 6-8 weeks of pregnancy the nursing baby seemed to be fussier and not eating as much which I think was due to a change in the taste of the milk due to hormone changes but after a few weeks nursing went back to normal. It is very important to be very well nourished and hydrated as your body will give nutrients to the baby first, you second, and then if there is left over will make milk so milk supply can decrease if your body doesn't have enough fuel to take care of all three people.
thanks mama this is very helpful ..just in-case we get pregnant soon lol...we breed like rabbits here
God loving family ! Helpmeet to a amazing husband and mom of 3 Gifts from God 1 ds, 2 dds, 1 dd on the way . I am one frugal busy homekeeping, homeschooling, streetpreaching, abortion ministering, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, sleep sharing, knitting, sewing pregnant mama! Hmmm did I miss anything .
worthfaraboverubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am nursing through pregnancy right now, my dd does seem to nurse more often, but she is getting milk. I nursed my first sin through my second pregnancy and tandemed and am hoping to do the same this time. It is possible and I got pregnant after 4 cycles this time. Af returned around the 9 month mark.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
I am nursing through pregnancy right now, my dd does seem to nurse more often, but she is getting milk. I nursed my first sin through my second pregnancy and tandemed and am hoping to do the same this time. It is possible and I got pregnant after 4 cycles this time. Af returned around the 9 month mark.
LMBO When I first read this it made me giggle! I am sure you don't consider your LO a sin.... Sorry but sometimes typos make my day.

Thanks ladies I guess I am a bit concerned as dd won't eat from a bottle or take any other device for nourishment. I will try that the good Lord knows this and what the plan should be. We do want the next one close so I guess we will just let things take their course. We have noticed dd loves to eat real food so maybe that is a blessing.
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5 View Post
LMBO When I first read this it made me giggle! I am sure you don't consider your LO a sin.... Sorry but sometimes typos make my day.

Thanks ladies I guess I am a bit concerned as dd won't eat from a bottle or take any other device for nourishment. I will try that the good Lord knows this and what the plan should be. We do want the next one close so I guess we will just let things take their course. We have noticed dd loves to eat real food so maybe that is a blessing.
Lol oops most definately a typo he's a huge blessing!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've nursed through one pregnancy and am currently nursing through a second. If you become pregnant while nursing a younger baby (say less than a year), you will likely need to supplement due to a dip in your supply.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant when ds was 9m and nursed him til 13m. In hindsight it was probably a nursing strike and not self-weaning, but it hurt to nurse at that point so we called it quits. He never really complained about the taste or not getting enough.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was 16 months old when I got pregnant again and nursing a LOT. I could tell that my supply dropped in the beginning, but she didn't mind. Around 10-11 weeks it started really hurting to nurse, and I started weaning seriously, even though I wanted to nurse her until she was 2. So in my case it was less of a supply issue, and more of a case of it killing me to nurse her. Also, I just don't think it's that healthy for a mom to be nursing and making a baby; it's just difficult to support all of those things at the same time. So I weaned, albeit slowly.