View Poll Results: Do you prefer a male or female OB?
Male 13 8.23%
Female 84 53.16%
Doesn't matter as long as I feel comfortable with him/her 59 37.34%
Other 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

The title says it all. After discussions with DH and several friends, I was wondering what others thought.
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

For me, it doesn't matter at all what the gender my OB is. I've had a female OB who I absolutely loved and was heartbroken to move away from during the middle of my pregnancy. And I have a male OB now who I love almost as much. DH gets uncomfortable with the "internal exams" and has never asked me to switch, but I know he'd love it if I got a female OB. I really wouldn't want to switch....I feel comfortable with this OB, he was my OB for at least part of every single one of my pregnancies, and I would hate to start over with someone new. (Like I said, DH has never asked me to switch....I'm just justifying why I wouldn't want to).

Nearly every female friend I've ever talked to has been shocked that I have and like a male OB. But I know there must be other people out there like me because it seems like there are way more male OB's than female ones!
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
MyLovely
Registered Users

Doesn't really matter to me, it's all about personality. In my own experience, I've found males to be much more gentle and less judgmental. I told my gyno that once, he says that since he doesn't have the parts, he makes a point to be extra gentle because he doesn't want to hurt his patients. Maybe I've just had bad luck with female gynos? I had a really excellent female NP once, I was devastated when I had to move.

I often joke that I wish there were midhusbands. I'll homebirth, so no OB for me, but I do admit that I'd prefer a male. I didn't vote that way though, because I have never heard of a male midwife delivering at home.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
Doesn't really matter to me, it's all about personality. In my own experience, I've found males to be much more gentle and less judgmental. I told my gyno that once, he says that since he doesn't have the parts, he makes a point to be extra gentle because he doesn't want to hurt his patients. Maybe I've just had bad luck with female gynos? I had a really excellent female NP once, I was devastated when I had to move.

I often joke that I wish there were midhusbands. I'll homebirth, so no OB for me, but I do admit that I'd prefer a male. I didn't vote that way though, because I have never heard of a male midwife delivering at home.
I have heard of one male midwife just don't remember where.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I always was uncomfortable with the idea of a male. But with DD1 my primary care recommended a male as a good one for us, and we decided to trust her. I LOVED that doc, he was awesome, delivered both my babies. He moved to a new office too far away and I'm so upset. I think personality matters more. My DH really liked him too! He was friendly but still professional.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

I prefer female. I didn't mind have male OBs deliver my children, but I was uncomfortable seeing them during my pregnancies. I have issues and I accept that it's a hard situation for me so I avoid it when possible. Now I see midwives in a birth center, so it's moot.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Female...male ob creeps me out and I'm not sure why.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Male. Women treat me like I'm a freak, because my cervix is SUPER tender. They just say, "your cervix cant feel anything" as I writhe in pain.

Best pap ever: gay male doc. He said he figures he doesn't have a clue what it feels like to me so he'd better be quick and gentle.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't matter.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
patooty
Registered Users
seller

male midwife in nunavut i heard

Homeschooling, Above Rubies reading, :bf support, semi- crunchy, selective- vaxing, family bed, home birthing, AP mama to 5 princesses, 1 intact prince and some gone before us. Recovered addict to I live here : I water birthed unassisted by choice to birthday triplets
patooty is offline   Reply With Quote