Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any one els sick of this

I cannot stand when I read something that calls my BABY a "fetus" I don't think I cared much with the other pregnancies but for some reason it just makes my blood boil a bit. Lol Uhg! Am I the only one?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any one els sick of this

You aren't alone, I hate that too! A baby is a baby from conception!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I am very strongly, decidedly pro-life, and if someone tried to use the term "fetus" on my child I'd probably cringe, too. But I just wanted to throw my story out there: With my first child, dd, I was so excited to be expecting that I read all my pregnancy books like, every day, and the day my baby "graduated" from "embryo" to "fetus" I announced it on facebook and subsequently got a tongue-lashing from a fellow pro-life friend who also struggled with infertility. It was a bit irritating as I was talking about stage of development! It's like saying "my toddler" .. "No, it's a CHILD!"
Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
fluffymailaholic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by edens_mom View Post
I am very strongly, decidedly pro-life, and if someone tried to use the term "fetus" on my child I'd probably cringe, too. But I just wanted to throw my story out there: With my first child, dd, I was so excited to be expecting that I read all my pregnancy books like, every day, and the day my baby "graduated" from "embryo" to "fetus" I announced it on facebook and subsequently got a tongue-lashing from a fellow pro-life friend who also struggled with infertility. It was a bit irritating as I was talking about stage of development! It's like saying "my toddler" .. "No, it's a CHILD!"
I agree with this...I think of my baby as a baby, but developmentally I get that it's a fetus. I just can't wait until I can think of my baby as a boy or a girl...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

So I guess it doesn't bug me because of my medical background. I use the terms interchangeably when talking generally but when being more lovey about it, I use "baby" regularly. Though maybe IVF also skews that since earlier we called it our little embryo, because that's what it was and now it's a fetus. Sort of like how every living thing has a scientific name and a common name. And when joking, we call it my uterine parasite...because technically, it is a parasite - it feeds off the resources of another living being.
luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
philenabean
Registered Users

Doesn't bother me either... Just sounds like a medical textbook to me! Although I certainly say baby more than not!

Quote:
And when joking, we call it my uterine parasite...because technically, it is a parasite - it feeds off the resources of another living being.
So funny! My older sister, who is in the medical field and will never have children (by choice), has called all of my babies my little parasites! Had no idea there were more of you kooky people out there! Ha!
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote