Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
CrunchyPeach
Registered Users

Is this normal for BF poo?

For 3 days now my ds has had green, mucousy diapers. They look like someone dumped mint jelly down his drawers. He's 11 weeks old. The nurse at the ped's office first said to bring him in but then called back and said it's probably just something I ate and not to worry about it. I haven't been eating anything green though. He doesn't seem to be in pain but I'm concerned that it's not normal. I didn't see anything like this in the two years I nursed my dd. Any ideas?
CrunchyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Re: Is this normal for BF poo?

My 4.5 month old DS has been having the same poo. I talked to a few people, including my midwife and she said that he might just be getting the fore-milk which would make it green, plus he's teething like mad and that contributes to runny poo. DS has had this type of poo for weeks. I'm not worried about it as everything else with him is fine. Oh, he's also EBF...

I'm sure your kiddo is fine, but if you're really worried, you should take him in just for your peace of mind.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
momof4
Registered Users
seller

It's totally normal. You really don't have to worry about colors in BF poo unless you see blood.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard that if they aren't getting hindmilk that the poos turn green and foamy. GL!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only time my son had green poo (before starting solids) was with the rotavirus. If your baby is acting sick and having LOTS of green poop (Brendan also had fever and throwing up with rotavirus) I'd definitely go visit the dr. I hope for your sake, and the sake of your baby, that it's NOT rotavirus!
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Termie
Registered Users
seller

3mo ds has had several bouts with green stringy or mucousy poo! When he has them I try to pay more attention to making sure he gets hindmilk - staying just on one side and encouraging him to take more if he hasn't eaten long. And if he's hungry again within 2hr I put him back on the same side.

I also noticed this happens when my water intake slips (a lof of Mondays b/c we are at my moms on Sun and I hate her water - so we bought a Culligan gallon and refill it each week at her walmart for $.33.), so it made me wonder if the milk was either not as plentiful or if it was "thicker" and he didn't want to work as hard at it ??? I have NO idea. But usually it was back to "normal" within a day or two.
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote