Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

So we never really decorated the nursery or had a cohesive theme or put together look for the babies/kids. Soon our teen will be moving his bedroom to one of the guest rooms downstairs and we'll have a boy and girl room for the little kids. I really want to decorate the rooms and make them cute.

How much does a room makeover cost (doing it as thrifty as possible)? Has anyone done a room makeover? Pictures?

Do you have thrifty ideas on how to do it? I can do paint easily enough since we have leftover paint from other rooms that would work and I can get "Oops" paint for the rest. Bedding will be tricky, but I could probably find a good sale or two. I'm always completely at a loss though on wall decor.

I could probably swing it as their bday gifts this year depending on how much it would cost. Or Christmas. Their bdays are Oct/Nov so it all blends in together every year pretty much. They really don't NEED anything, and I know they'd absolutely love a cute decorated big kid room of their own and wouldn't be disappointed or know the difference.

Any and all ideas/pics are welcome! I've got all year to plan this out, but I'm starting now so I'm not so overwhelmed.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
libbyl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 406
Any idea on what themes you want to do for each room? Is there a color or animal or character that the girls or boys like? I have usually started with one main idea and worked from there. My younger son has a vintage race car theme, and the main colors are navy blue and red. I found a Pottery Barn kids quilt and rug on craigslist, a cute red shelf on clearance at Target, awesome navy striped sheets at the Company Store outlet, PB kids curtains on e-bay for a great deal, the paint is sage (5.00 can in the oops section at Home Depot, painted before it was a nursery, but it all works), and some toys are housed in a big navy bucket with red rope handles from Target.
__________________
I sell Scentsy!!!!
libbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyl View Post
Any idea on what themes you want to do for each room? Is there a color or animal or character that the girls or boys like? I have usually started with one main idea and worked from there. My younger son has a vintage race car theme, and the main colors are navy blue and red. I found a Pottery Barn kids quilt and rug on craigslist, a cute red shelf on clearance at Target, awesome navy striped sheets at the Company Store outlet, PB kids curtains on e-bay for a great deal, the paint is sage (5.00 can in the oops section at Home Depot, painted before it was a nursery, but it all works), and some toys are housed in a big navy bucket with red rope handles from Target.
I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple!

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 01-26-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
TheGreenBee's Avatar
TheGreenBee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,699
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall

I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple!

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.
Ooh. DDs old room was pink and green I will look for pics tomorrow.

I actually have some bedding you could have if shipping from Canada isn't too much. I will try to compress it way down I. One of those vaccine space bags. It is in decent condition (definitely not like new but lots of miles left) but is heckuva cute. I have two matching sets. I will look for pictures. There is a matching valance as well.

If you like it as shipping isn't a fortune it's yours.

It might even have purple in it. It definitely has blue. The bedding could go with almost anything

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Supermom, living the good and simple life, trying to remember how fortunate I am.

Last edited by TheGreenBee; 01-27-2012 at 01:22 AM.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
libbyl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall

I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple!

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.
I would keep the green walls, get the light airy curtains you were thinking of, get a couple hooks (either basic silver for a couple bucks each, or something girly for a bit more) to hang on the wall for the dress up clothes. We have down comforters that we can get new duvet covers for over time and as tastes change... Not sure how much they are normally, but we have a Company Store outlet here and I waited for their 60 percent off pricing, so they werent badly priced. You could get lavender/purple comforters which would look cute with the green (and put duvet covers on later if they no longer like purple.

In my older sons room we have a road border! The lower part of his wall is dark blue, and the upper part is sky blue, with the black road painted around the room with white road lines. He has had this room since he was 1 1/2, ( he is now 6), and he has never gotten into driving his cars around on it, which was my thought and hope too..... It does look cute though. Plaid for boys bedding is very neutral and lasts a long time.
__________________
I sell Scentsy!!!!
libbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
TheGreenBee's Avatar
TheGreenBee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,699
My Mood:
We redid both kid bedrooms in 2011. We did it for super cheap. Or I think it was cheap and we did a full makeover top to bottom. We removed the carpet and put down wood floor then painted the walls (I have a thing about paint so that was about $70 for the paint, then $200 per room for the floor as new bedding, I got on sale for $30 and misc wall decals.

Here is a pic of DD bedroom. She is almost 9. Her bed was a loft bed but when we did the redo the husband cut it down for her.



image-3428442029.jpg



image-1476105204.jpg

And I don't have any pics of the boys' room but we did the same. Replaced
The floor $200, $70 on paint and about $60 in matching bedding for the bunk beds.

Actually here are some messy pics. I was mid purge and took pics. I was still in the it gets worse before it gets better stage.



image-4152929560.jpg

Both bedrooms are about 100 sq ft. I don't have any better pics of the boys' room. I forgot to take pics when I was done.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Supermom, living the good and simple life, trying to remember how fortunate I am.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

The pictures are great! I love the colors you have for their rooms. Heck yeah, I'd love to see pictures of the bedding - that'd be great!
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
TheGreenBee's Avatar
TheGreenBee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,699
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
The pictures are great! I love the colors you have for their rooms. Heck yeah, I'd love to see pictures of the bedding - that'd be great!
I will dig it out today sometime and take a pic

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Supermom, living the good and simple life, trying to remember how fortunate I am.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
AfWife8405's Avatar
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,592
Re: What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

We are military and sometimes move as often as every year. I am a big fan of wall decals for kids rooms. I just changed my daughter's room from a Dora theme to a Princess theme and all I paid for was new wall decals from Target. The grandparents bought her new bedding with the disney princesses on it.

My daughters room is purple with white furniture & pink and purple baskets to organize her toys. My best advice is to coordinate mostly on colors instead of them and then add in a few elements to create the theme. This way it is cheap and easy to switch it up later when they outgrow the room's theme. HTH.

While we are talking about rooms... does anyone have any ideas for a boys room that is green where one boy likes Star Wars and the other likes Cars? Its my least favorite room in the house because it doesn't look put together. I don't know how to make it look unified with 2 very different interests.
__________________
Wife to An Airman Mama to Nicholas Benjamin (8) Jack Ryan (6) Brooke Isabella (5) our Great Dane, Matilda and St. Bernard, Lucy
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
TheGreenBee's Avatar
TheGreenBee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,699
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405
We are military and sometimes move as often as every year. I am a big fan of wall decals for kids rooms. I just changed my daughter's room from a Dora theme to a Princess theme and all I paid for was new wall decals from Target. The grandparents bought her new bedding with the disney princesses on it.

My daughters room is purple with white furniture & pink and purple baskets to organize her toys. My best advice is to coordinate mostly on colors instead of them and then add in a few elements to create the theme. This way it is cheap and easy to switch it up later when they outgrow the room's theme. HTH.

While we are talking about rooms... does anyone have any ideas for a boys room that is green where one boy likes Star Wars and the other likes Cars? Its my least favorite room in the house because it doesn't look put together. I don't know how to make it look unified with 2 very different interests.
My suggestion would be to do neither star wars or cars. My boys are five years apart and share a room and obviously have different interests. I did green walls and Camo bedding.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Supermom, living the good and simple life, trying to remember how fortunate I am.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.