Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
osmom
Registered Users
seller

Nursing 1-year old

Hi all, what did you do when your baby got older... do you still nurse before all solids? We are firm believers in breast is best until one-year, and introduced solids around 7/8 months. At 11 months, he eats a small solid breakfast and a solid dinner but I am still nursing before these meals and throughout the day. We will soon introduce a meal of solids for lunch... what do/did you do about nursing still? He is a big comfort nurser too, but I wonder what is normal/average nursing for his age. Do you do it just AM/PM and naps? Do tell!
osmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Nursing 1-year old

We do not nurse on schedule, some are routine, but others when he wants.

Always mornings, bedtimes and naps.

During the day he signs for milk or pulls at my shirt. If he is super fussy I see if he wants to nurse.

I would say at this point he nurses 4-5 times a day. Normally just short longer at nap and bedtimes.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

At 1 year I began nursing when it was requested, but my LO LOVES table food. I would nurse after solids if you are trying to encourage solids.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

When ds1 turned 1 he was nursing at the same times (give or take a bit) every day - 5am, 8, 11, 2, 5, 7pm (bedtime). When he turned one, I stopped offering the 11 nursing session and we would just nurse if he asked for it. Very quickly he went from nursing about 11 & 2, to just nursing around noon. When I saw how well he was able to communicate when he did want milk, but also how ready he seemed to have fewer nursing sessions & eat more finger foods, I started only nursing when he asked for milk. He dropped the 5pm nursing session, then the 8 am session as well, then he stopped the noon session, then the before bed nursing as well. For about a month he nursed only in the am when he first woke & came In to bed with us, but then I got pregnant & my milk dried up. He continued trying to nurse for a few weeks, but then gave it up. I was so sad the morning he woke and didn't want to nurse. but, I was also happy that he had been largely in control of how he weaned and didn't seem troubled by it at all. I'm glad that we were able to nurse until he was over 16 months.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We continue to nurse on demand. Poppy nurses MANY more times than the pp mentioned like 10+ for sure. I do not restrict her at all. She is not huge on solids but we offer her meals in her highchair 3x per day and 1-2 snacks. I think it is personal preference really. Whatever works for you is the way to go
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are still mainly nursing, at least when I am home. When I am at work and he is home with DH or the nanny, they are feeding him (I seem to have the only kiddos who will not put food in their own mouths), since he will not take milk from a bottle. We offer finger foods, but he just throws them (silly baby). DS1 did not really eat full meals until closer to 2, and DS2 looks like he is going to be the same way, although he does eat a LOT more than DS1 did at this age, just not enough to warrant offering food before nursing.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Only you can decide when to stop "offering". I believe in offering until they consistently refuse. Example: I always nursed DD about 30minutes to an hour before dinner. Around 13 months she started refusing to nurse then. If I offered at dinner time, she would again say no and eat her food. So I stopped offering after about 3 weeks of that. Follow your baby's cues. If he wants solids, he'll let you know and refuse to nurse.

DD is now just over 14 months and I am 13 weeks pregnant. She nurses at least 8 times a day, mostly at night.

Last edited by tibeca; 01-31-2012 at 05:22 PM.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

[QUOTE=tibeca;14563187]Only you can decide when to stop "offering". I believe in offering until they consistently refuse. Example: I always nursed DD about 30minutes to an hour before dinner. Around 13 months she started refusing to nurse then. If I offered at dinner time, she would again say no and eat her food. So I stopped offering after about 3 weeks of that. Follow your baby's cues. If he wants solids, he'll let you know and refuse to nurse.

This
I nurse/nursed all 3 of my children on demand. I also offered if they seemed to need it. My first slowed down to only breastfeeding 5-6 times a day by the time she was a year old my second still nursed as much as a newborn when he was 2 years old. Sometimes as much as 10-12 times a day. He liked to nurse before and after bed time and naps, before and after each meal, whenever he fell and got hurt or was just upset, and 1-2 times during the night. He would refuse to eat much solids. It wasn't that he was picky he just didn't want much solids. I have seen him refuse a piece of chocolate cake because he just wasn't in the mood for it. When we go to a buffet he gets his desert but doesn't usually finish it and wants to go back for a plate of salads and other veges. He is 8yrs old. As a toddler he also had a problem with a very strong gag reflex. So he would frequently vomit up his meals not making eating a very appetizing thought for him. Both children would increase their comfort nursing whenever they would become sick but would revert to their normal nursing habits as soon as they became better. My third child is only 7m old right now and still ebf. I plan on doing the same for him.

Just wanted to clarify just in case. My second child is now 8 years old and he was weaned shortly before he turned 4, so was my first child. After reading what I typed I thought it might look like I was still nursing him. I am not only my 7mo.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-01-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarify
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nurse on demand still (dd will be 1 in 10 days). Always in the morning when she first wakes up and before naps and bed. I don't usually offer it before a meal because I know that she will fill up on it if I let her.

Most days she doesn't eat a "real" lunch because she just wants to nurse and go right to bed.

She is by far my most avid nurser of my three. By this age, my other two were nursing only at nap and bedtime.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
osmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that I, too, nurse on demand and will continue to do so. He's never taken a bottle and I'm home with him all but two mornings/week and then he's just across the street while I work so they just call me to come nurse when he's hungry.

We don't really have a schedule and never have, but as we started to introduce solids, I always nursed before offering them and still try to just to get as much good milk in him as I can. I just wondered at what point you stopped nursing before meals and just nursed on demand. He's so wiggly and into *everything* these days that I often wonder how much he's really drinking and since I don't pump I have no idea. I know he's still getting enough and am not worried about it, but I am curious!

I'm new here, but already love chatting and hearing everyone's opinions/feedback. Thanks
osmom is offline   Reply With Quote