Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
mum2b~mel
Registered Users

Short and sweet!!

What do you all think about nursing babies to sleep for naps and bed time? Do you think it's a bad habit or natural and lovely?

I have been doing it this whole time with my 7mo but now he's not sleeping vgood at night and everyone is telling me that he needs to be put in his cot awake?

Thoughts mammas? x

mum to beautiful boy and loving cloth nappy-ing him!
mum2b~mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have done it for as long as each baby will fall asleep nursing (eventually they stop on their own). Once they start having problems falling asleep on me we work on getting them to go to bed awake. Babyhood is so fleeting and I enjoy nursing to sleep too much to stop it in the name of sleep training! There are ways to get baby to sleep better at night without nursing back to sleep at every night waking (such as having dad go in to comfort baby). Also I would expect a 7 month old to be hungry and need to nurse at least once a night...
If you haven't read it already, Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" has some good suggestions for gentle ways to get a breastfed baby to sleep better.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Short and sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmom View Post
I have done it for as long as each baby will fall asleep nursing (eventually they stop on their own). Once they start having problems falling asleep on me we work on getting them to go to bed awake. Babyhood is so fleeting and I enjoy nursing to sleep too much to stop it in the name of sleep training! There are ways to get baby to sleep better at night without nursing back to sleep at every night waking (such as having dad go in to comfort baby). Also I would expect a 7 month old to be hungry and need to nurse at least once a night...
If you haven't read it already, Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" has some good suggestions for gentle ways to get a breastfed baby to sleep better.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's very natural--there's all kinds of biological reasons for it. My DD still nurses to sleep if she's going to take a nap. My DS has never liked to nurse to sleep because I have oversupply and he gets too much milk when he would prefer just comfort nursing.

Every kid is different. Even my DS, whom I put to bed awake (he also does not like to cosleep! Sometimes I wonder if he is a human or a cyborg), still wakes one to three times a night to nurse. Putting them to bed awake is not a cure-all for nightwaking, in my experience.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My 13 month old always nursed to sleep. She now gets rocked to sleep at daycare during the week and by DH on weekends no problem. She will also often nurse, pull off, THEN go to sleep now. So no, I don't see the problem.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
mum2b~mel
Registered Users

Thats all very comforting to hear! Thanks mammas!

mum to beautiful boy and loving cloth nappy-ing him!
mum2b~mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Also my DD woke up 4+ times a night to nurse until recently. My Ped (who BFed all her kiddos) said that this is pretty common in BF babies and she'd grow out of it on her own. Now that she's taken to solids she sleeps one 6-8 hour stretch, then up about 2 times from around 2-4 am til time to get up.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

done it with all mine DD was bottle fed and i still gave her a bottle and rocked her to sleep.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
birds chart
Registered Users
seller

i just did this a couple of minutes ago actually, i love it. often i will nap with her, the prolactin makes me sleepy sometimes, still. it's one of the best feelings in the world knowing your baby is comfy snuggled next to you, so peaceful. ignore those who tell you it's a bad habit, beware baby trainers - babies do the things they do for a reason.
birds chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
L&L
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds chart View Post
i just did this a couple of minutes ago actually, i love it. often i will nap with her, the prolactin makes me sleepy sometimes, still. it's one of the best feelings in the world knowing your baby is comfy snuggled next to you, so peaceful. ignore those who tell you it's a bad habit, beware baby trainers - babies do the things they do for a reason.

So glad you started this thread - I have had some guilt from nursing my lo to sleep for naps thanks those who told me it's a bad habit - So I tried and tried to change it up, but our nap routine was suffering, and she was not getting the sleep her little body needs. As of today I started to go back to 'our routine' and said to the moon with those who made me feel like I was not doing something good for my baby. Keep doing what works for you mama!

FSOT: hoarding at the moment
L&L is offline   Reply With Quote