Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
corscors
Registered Users
seller

Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!
corscors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corscors View Post
My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!
Have they been prepped well?
How is the fit around his legs? My babies all had tiny chicken legs and we leaked until we found the lil joys and he grew into his FB XS..
Bonnie. Christian, homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-circumcising, breast feeding, baby wearing, home cooking, granola-type wife to my amazing (hard working, awesome father) husband Brian, mommy to 6 crazy cool kids, B 3-98, A 9-00, J 4-02, P 4-04, Lil A 2-07,Lil P 7-10 and one sweet peanut due 3-12.
My poor neglected blog: www.suburbangranola.com
Suburbangranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yeah, sometimes it can be really hard to get a good fit with no leaks with certain diapers on certain babies. My sister bought a bunch of gPants but could never get them to not leak. She passed them on to me and I never had a problem with them.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only reason for leaks (please correct me if i'm wrong) is
- bad fit
- not enough absorbacy
- not preped properly
- repelling
- not changing often enough
were you using the prefold as a lay in insert? because (and correct me if i'm wrong again, as i have never used these) you can't pin or snappie a prefold under a gdiaper, it isn't water proof, only the lay in part is.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
corscors
Registered Users
seller

The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.
The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
corscors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!
YES, that's exactly right! Nothing was dripped- we were doing his newborn photos and he was only in his diaper. I'm confused also...it wasn't wet anywhere else and i checked the liner after to make sure it didn't leak. Maybe i just put it all together too quickly?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
YES, that's exactly right! Nothing was dripped- we were doing his newborn photos and he was only in his diaper. I'm confused also...it wasn't wet anywhere else and i checked the liner after to make sure it didn't leak. Maybe i just put it all together too quickly?
Very very strange, indeed!

I don't know what to tell ya except that you should try it again.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
mamaspice
Registered Users

I would prep a little more. This is how my new prefolds are at first- like they are getting peed straight through. If well prepped, the fabric should grab and distribute the moisture over a large area and you won't be able to see that one spot.

Make sure the liner is holding the prefold snug to his bum. If those aren't working try a wrap style cover like a Thirsties Duo.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

hey! I see that you're in charleston! There is a local CD group on facebook you should join. You might find some local mamas to help you troubleshoot and there is a big swap on Sunday. here is the link!
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote