Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
corscors
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 72
Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!
corscors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Suburbangranola's Avatar
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 195
My Mood:
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corscors View Post
My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!
Have they been prepped well?
How is the fit around his legs? My babies all had tiny chicken legs and we leaked until we found the lil joys and he grew into his FB XS..
__________________
Bonnie. Christian, homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-circumcising, breast feeding, baby wearing, home cooking, granola-type wife to my amazing (hard working, awesome father) husband Brian, mommy to 6 crazy cool kids, B 3-98, A 9-00, J 4-02, P 4-04, Lil A 2-07,Lil P 7-10 and one sweet peanut due 3-12.
My poor neglected blog: www.suburbangranola.com
Suburbangranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
mommyfrog's Avatar
mommyfrog
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 6,277
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Yeah, sometimes it can be really hard to get a good fit with no leaks with certain diapers on certain babies. My sister bought a bunch of gPants but could never get them to not leak. She passed them on to me and I never had a problem with them.
__________________
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
jennayoung99's Avatar
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: alberta, canada
Posts: 2,887
My Mood:
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

the only reason for leaks (please correct me if i'm wrong) is
- bad fit
- not enough absorbacy
- not preped properly
- repelling
- not changing often enough
were you using the prefold as a lay in insert? because (and correct me if i'm wrong again, as i have never used these) you can't pin or snappie a prefold under a gdiaper, it isn't water proof, only the lay in part is.
__________________
Jenna - wife to Harrison since 2007, and proud mama to miss Matilda Quinn(Sept-06-11) and mr Felix Byron (May-25-13)
jennayoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
corscors
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 72
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.
corscors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy's Avatar
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,591
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corscors View Post
The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.
The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!
__________________
Wife to my sweetheart and SAHM to my little lovey, Colin (12/10) my little family
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
corscors
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 72
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!
YES, that's exactly right! Nothing was dripped- we were doing his newborn photos and he was only in his diaper. I'm confused also...it wasn't wet anywhere else and i checked the liner after to make sure it didn't leak. Maybe i just put it all together too quickly?
corscors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy's Avatar
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,591
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corscors View Post
YES, that's exactly right! Nothing was dripped- we were doing his newborn photos and he was only in his diaper. I'm confused also...it wasn't wet anywhere else and i checked the liner after to make sure it didn't leak. Maybe i just put it all together too quickly?
Very very strange, indeed!

I don't know what to tell ya except that you should try it again.
__________________
Wife to my sweetheart and SAHM to my little lovey, Colin (12/10) my little family
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
mamaspice's Avatar
mamaspice
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,305
I would prep a little more. This is how my new prefolds are at first- like they are getting peed straight through. If well prepped, the fabric should grab and distribute the moisture over a large area and you won't be able to see that one spot.

Make sure the liner is holding the prefold snug to his bum. If those aren't working try a wrap style cover like a Thirsties Duo.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
amiecheatham's Avatar
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,612
Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

hey! I see that you're in charleston! There is a local CD group on facebook you should join. You might find some local mamas to help you troubleshoot and there is a big swap on Sunday. here is the link!
__________________
Amie. Wife to Brook and Mama to my Jedi Ninja Girl, Sarah Jane
and my handsome devil, Carver.
Check out my Newborn Diaper and Baby Clothes De-stash!
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.