Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

clomid + nursing?

Any of you have experience with nursing while taking clomid?
I know the literature says it "may decrease breast milk supply" and I'd read the info on kellymom, but wondered if any of you have any insight as well??
DS is almost a year and we'd really like to have another one if not more and I'm already well into AMA. It took us a while and the help of clomid to conceive DS. I'm still nursing DS and while AF has returned she's super irregular, so I'm guessing I'm not ovulating. We've been talking about weaning so that I can get regular cycles going, and I know that might be necessary, but I also just don't really feel ready to wean DS yet. although I will be happy to stop pumping at work! (he's also night cycled so it might mean lots of night time struggles that I just don't want to face, esp since I'm not feeling ready to wean him..) So talked to my gyn a/b doing clomid again to see if that could jump start ovulation. just don't know if that will tank my milk supply and I'll end up weaning anyway. argh.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Re: clomid + nursing?

I'd be interested to know, too! Is Clomid considered safe for baby while breastfeeding? Did you get any pushback from your doctor about weaning?
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: clomid + nursing?

from what I can tell it's ok for breast feeding, just might tank the supply. I'm luck to live in Portland, OR, and the general attitude out here is very probreastfeeding (at least that's been my experience, in fact DH switched to using all medela bottles when he feeds DS cause he felt he got less withering looks when people assumed that he was feeding pumped milk than that he was feeding formula) so my ob didn't given any push back, but did say that as long as you are breastfeeding, your prolactin level will be elevated, which does tend to suppress ovulation (hence the lactation amenorrhea) so I might have to decide between not weaning and ovulating...