Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
JoyfulMomx4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Military Mamas Overseas

Hi everyone. I was just wondering how many other military mamas are out there. We are headed to Germany in a week! I'm freaking out a little bit because there is so much we have to do. I don't think I'll be able to CD for awhile because I won't have ready access to a washer. I've heard that the German washers are smaller. Is there anything else I need to know or adjust in the wash routine once we are settled?
JoyfulMomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Military Mamas Overseas

Welcome! We're at Ramstein. Your washer/dryer depends on where you're stationed and what housing you have. Here in the the KMC (Kaiserslautern military community), if you live on base, you get an American sized washer and dryer.

If you live off base, it depends on your washer/dryer hookups. FMO will lend you a washer and dryer for your tour here. Our rental house had the hookups for the American sized washer/dryer so that's what we got.

The European sized washer/dryers are small. In England, that's what we had and it was a front loader and would only fit about 3-4 pairs of jeans. And the dryer was a condenser dryer since there was no vent...so it had a pan that I had to change out after every dryer cycle. I ended up doing laundry all the time.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
hauser
Registered Users
seller

You will love Germany! We had an American size washer/dryer in England. It really does depend, but here is a chance you will have a European size one. They can also take longer unless you are already use to a front loader.

I had more luck getting our diapers clean overseas. Since we moved I cannot get them clean and they keep getting a rash. I switched to sposies...ick...but hopefully they will potty train soon!
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I am not a military mama, but I am an American Expat living in Germany since 2008.

Where will you be going? We are down by Freiberg. I am so excited to see more mamas in Germany.

Yes, I find the washers to be about half the size of US washers. I do double the amount of laundry

I cannot help with any military related questions, but anything about life on the economy, or of base, feel free to shoot my way
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Oh our washer and dryers take longer as do dishwashers.

My washer takes about 2 hours on a normal load as does the dryer.

Dishwasher is about and hour and a half, in our last place it was 3 hours.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
lfilbert
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am not at Germany, we are stationed in Italy, but my washer and dryer are both german brand front loaders.

We have really hard water here so washing in them is a pain, but doable. It takes a couple rinses, a hot wash, and then a few more rinses to get all teh residue out. Along with the long washer cycles it really does take a lot longer to wash diapers in these little european front loaders than a top loader.

Oh hanging diapers to dry helps out with the time as well since most of the time the diapers will dry outside before they would in the dryer

Last edited by lfilbert; 03-07-2012 at 02:29 AM.
lfilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

We are at Spangdahlem Germany has been a great place to live! We CD here even with the small washer/dryer it can be done! Enjoy your new adventure!!
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Hamalu
Registered Users

Smile Re: Military Mamas Overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7202 View Post
We are at Spangdahlem Germany has been a great place to live! We CD here even with the small washer/dryer it can be done! Enjoy your new adventure!!
We're pcsing to Spangdahlem in November! I can't wait to be back in Germany.
Kind of nervous about the cloth washing situation. So glad I can get some input here beforehand.
Hamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Brae'sMama
Registered Users

We're in Schweinfurt. We moved on post a year ago and I miss my German washer!!! Those things are great at cleaning fluff.
Brae'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
MommyMerk
Registered Users

I'm in Landstuhl, I just found out I'm pregnant last week, and hoping to cloth diaper... I don't know where to order from or what to get or ANYTHING about it except it's better for baby, the environment, and the wallet. I assume it's not the same talking about my washer and dryer because I haven't tried laundering soiled diapers in them, but I have american size and good hot water, I haven't noticed anything different than the stateside ones. We used to live in another village and had the smaller front load washer, and German dryer and other than having to empty the water reservoir for the dryer I had no problems with them, the load size was smaller, but not obnoxiously so in my opinion.
MommyMerk is offline   Reply With Quote