View Poll Results: What would you do
Cerclage 6 15.38%
No cerclage 23 58.97%
Wait and have emergency cerclage if needed, or other intervention, knowing the risks are higher 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
I have a scary decision to make...

Please give me your honest opinions.

Backstory:

With DD I was between 28-32 weeks (I can't remember) when I went to my OB appointment and was told I was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was placed on bedrest and told to try and make it to 37 weeks. After that I could do whatever I pleased.

On May 27th (my due date as June 15th) I went to the hospital because DD wasn't moving as much. They hooked her up to monitors for less then 10 minutes and checked me. They said my water was bulging and DD wasn't responding to labour so they were going to break my water.

She was born 7lbs 8oz with no complications.


Currently:

I am pregnant with our second and I'm being recommended to have a cervical cerclage.


Questions/Fears. I was young and trusted everything I was told but looking back things don't make sense.

1. I wasn't in labour (no contractions) so how was DD no responding to labour?
2. Is that why they broke my water because she "wasn't responding" instead of inducing labour with medication?
3. She was born with no complications and no rush. Meaning, they weren't pushing for an emergency c-section or to have an epidural in place in case of one.
4. Did they break my water for no reason?

Ok, so here's my scary choice.

I have to decide to have the cerclage and have the following risks/results:

-Infection.
-Damage to the cervix during surgery.
-Excessive blood loss.
-Preterm premature rupture of membranes (pPROM).
-Preterm labor.
-Permanent narrowing or closure of the cervix (cervical stenosis).
-Tearing of the cervix or uterus if labor progresses with the stitches still in place.
-I'll be placed on bedrest from 14 weeks+
-I have to be with a high risk OB.


Or Not having the cerclage:

-Pre-term labour and premie.
-Benefit of having a midwife.


What would you do?
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon

Last edited by EuphoricDysphoria; 03-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
patooty
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: winnipeg, manitoba
Posts: 912
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

i wouldnt do it
__________________


Homeschooling, Above Rubies reading, :bf support, semi- crunchy, selective- vaxing, family bed, home birthing, AP mama to 5 princesses, 1 intact prince and some gone before us. Recovered addict to I live here : I water birthed unassisted by choice to birthday triplets
patooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
kristinc's Avatar
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IL:-)
Posts: 7,714
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Sorry if I missed this, but are you having complications already or is this just preventative? And how far along are you?
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
robinology's Avatar
robinology
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 228
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

It sounds way too risky. Too many cons for the cerclage!
robinology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Gardyloo's Avatar
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 626
My Mood:
My first was a preemie. They didn't know why, so as prevention I did two things: weekly progesterone injections from 18-36 weeks, and cervical ultrasounds twice a month from 16 - 28 weeks. There is a window for putting in a cerclage, maybe somewhere after around 20 weeks. They should be measuring your cervix and looking for change. My cervix was still long and closed by 24 weeks, so my doctor was confident I did not need a cerclage. My understanding is that a cerclage is only beneficial if you have incompetent cervix, which they should be able to diagnose by closely monitoring your cervical length.
__________________
Dawn: Mama to DS1 (12/07), DD (5/10), and DS2 (10/12)
Gardyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
veveland's Avatar
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,384
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleysmom1207
My first was a preemie. They didn't know why, so as prevention I did two things: weekly progesterone injections from 18-36 weeks, and cervical ultrasounds twice a month from 16 - 28 weeks. There is a window for putting in a cerclage, maybe somewhere after around 20 weeks. They should be measuring your cervix and looking for change. My cervix was still long and closed by 24 weeks, so my doctor was confident I did not need a cerclage. My understanding is that a cerclage is only beneficial if you have incompetent cervix, which they should be able to diagnose by closely monitoring your cervical length.
This. You should be getting cervical ultrasounds and only offered a cerclage if change is seen. That's a big procedure to do blindly.
__________________
Valerie, wife to Walt and SAHM to Nick (7/06) and Olivia (7/09) and baby Katelyn (8/11) and currently completing our family through adoption!
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Sounds too risky for me. You went pretty much full-term last time and may have carried even longer without the induction. I don't see that a cerclage is worth the risk.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
diapermommy's Avatar
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 2,893
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I wouldn't do it. I looks like you have preemie as a risk in both options, but having it done adds a bunch more risk too.
__________________
Niki, sahm to 3 little crazies...
And expecting one more July 2011
diapermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
I was told it's best to place it between 12-14 weeks as a preventative measure. I guess it's safer when it's not an "emergency situation" and places early as a precaution.

The other con is a higher chance of needing a c-section.

I'm having no problems now. But the specialist wants to place it between 12-14 weeks.

Thanks so much ladies. I was leaning towards not wanting to get it because my pregnancy/birth of my first has some many important unanswered questions. But at the same time I was told "With your first you got lucky, do you really want to take a gamble with your second".
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,718
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I am not trying to scare you but I know someone who did not do it, went into preterm labor and lost their little boy (she was 24 weeks along). Though the risks are high she has done it with her other pregnancy and now has 2 healthy babies - maybe you should get a second opinion from a Doctor (at a different hopsital or clinic).
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.