Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

*Update post 15

I'm nesting and getting so frustrated. My 4yo and 2yo share a room and then my teen son has his own room. Then our room of course. Well, baby is on the way and while s/he will sleep in our room for the first 6 months or so in the pack n play, I still need to store baby things in the kids' room. I have a giant laundry basket full right now of baby linens and burp rags and such to put away and nowhere to put it.

I have one large dresser that DD and DS2 share. That is packed full and I still have 2 boxes of clothes to go through of DS2's to either donate or fit into the dresser or closet. The closet is split down the middle - one side DD, other side DS2. I have floor space under the rods, but nothing very tall would fit. I just dug out a 3 drawer plastic rolly cart/dresser thing and stuck it on one side and stuffed that full of the larger sized cloth diapers for now.

eta: We have a separate playroom where we keep all of their toys and books in. So this is just for beds and dressers and clothes/diapers/linens.

I guess I'm just looking for storage advice/solutions to having 2 kids and a baby in one room. Pics would be great, too!

Next year sometime, we'll have an extra bedroom in the basement finished and DS1 will move down there. Then I can split the two upstairs kid rooms between the 3 LOs. But for now, I have to make this work and it's driving me crazy. I know I need a small dresser of some sort for the baby, and I think that's what bugging me the most. I can't really do anything yet until I get that. Gr.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 05-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Docs Wife's Avatar
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 666
My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

We have a 3 bedroom apt. My three LO (4yr, 3yr, 15 mo) all share a sleeping room. It is the smallest of the three rooms. This room is used for sleeping and a dresser and clothes in the closet only. The other non-master bedroom, the bigger of the two, is used as a play room all their toys, games, ect are kept in here and this is where they spend most of their time.
Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby's Avatar
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,986
My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and my 10 month old in 1 room. The baby slept in our room until 8 months. I will dig up some pictures and come back with them here in a bit. I have to get lunch going.
__________________
Britney
Mom of 4 little munchkins

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs Wife View Post
We have a 3 bedroom apt. My three LO (4yr, 3yr, 15 mo) all share a sleeping room. It is the smallest of the three rooms. This room is used for sleeping and a dresser and clothes in the closet only. The other non-master bedroom, the bigger of the two, is used as a play room all their toys, games, ect are kept in here and this is where they spend most of their time.
Oh I forgot to mention that we have a separate room for their toys. The bedroom is just for sleeping and dressers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and my 10 month old in 1 room. The baby slept in our room until 8 months. I will dig up some pictures and come back with them here in a bit. I have to get lunch going.
Thank you, that would be great!!
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
doodah's Avatar
doodah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,945
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

Can you go thru and destash the bigger kids stuff? My two girls share a room and they have three drawers each (none are full) and about 10 to 15 hang up items each. Thats it. I could easily fit all three kids in one room. The baby is still in our room but all her stuff, including diapers fit into some bins in her changing table. I think maybe now is the time to start minimizing....

Another thing to consider is wall storage, hanging shelves or cubbies up high and that sort of thing. What about under the beds?
doodah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
Can you go thru and destash the bigger kids stuff? My two girls share a room and they have three drawers each (none are full) and about 10 to 15 hang up items each. Thats it. I could easily fit all three kids in one room. The baby is still in our room but all her stuff, including diapers fit into some bins in her changing table. I think maybe now is the time to start minimizing....

Another thing to consider is wall storage, hanging shelves or cubbies up high and that sort of thing. What about under the beds?
I do have to go through their drawers and hanging things and move the winter and small stuff to storage. I could probably wing the hanging things, but the dresser they have now to share isn't very big to begin with (they each have 3 drawers). I have some serious weeding down to do with DS2's things, but that's still going to leave me with no drawer space for baby.

I am trying to buy a captain's twin bed on CL for $30 now as we speak. If I got that, I'll be able to move the linens and blankets to those drawers and free up the middle of the dresser (it's a cabinet with shelves) for baby linens and burp rags. Or, I could move DD's clothes to the captain bed drawers and baby could have her side of the dresser for clothes/linens possibly.

The only problem with the captains bed is the amount of space it might take up. I'd have DS2 still in his toddler bed, but we're going to need to fit a crib in there at some point, too. Hmm...though I probably wouldn't need an extra dresser if we got the bed.

Then there's the lotions/snappis/breast pads/etc. I have this little organizer that goes on top of the dresser I keep it all in. Well, the kids won't leave the stuff alone anymore and now I have to find a spot high enough up or in my own bedroom where they're not constantly messing with it.

It'll all work out. I'm just in uber nesting mode right now and you know how that goes. It all has to get done RIGHT NOW or it's panic. LOL
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
chandni3
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,338
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

You'll love this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=120305388013452
It probably costs a fortune though
__________________
Mommy to sweet daughter K Nov 2011 & N May 2013. Wife to wonderful husband D since Sept 2008. Always remembering baby J 10wks Missing baby Q 13wks

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
badmisterkitty's Avatar
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,649
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

We are planning to do 3 in a room together after this new baby comes. We technically have enough bedrooms to not have to, but I can't deal with being in the basement with all my little babies upstairs without me. So, until they are older they will all bunk together.

We moved the kids to our room, which is (marginally) bigger, but it allows for more layouts than theirs. We are debating between a full size bed for the girls to share and then the crib for the baby, or a twin, toddler and crib. We need another dresser, too.

There are almost no toys in their bedroom. Just the play kitchen and one of those 9-hole shelves that hold cloth bins holds their books and a few bins of toys played with less often. The changing table is a pad on top of a dresser, which I actually love because they don't outgrow it by height!

Each kid gets 3 drawers in the dresser. I've divided it a cuople of different ways, depending on how MUCH of each clothing item they have. If it doesn't all fit, we have to weed out a few things. We use that wire-grid shelving in the closet to hold sheets, blankets, outgrown clothes and a bunch of misc stuff. A few things are hung, mostly less often worn stuff like swimsuits and a couple dresses, sweatshirts, things like that.

Our laundry is "central" meaning we have one place for all dirty clothes and not multiple baskets in every room. I'm also in the process of moving the stuffed animals "up" into one of those pet net things.
__________________
Amy ~ Everything in moderation, WOH, glass half full, not committed to any labels, try, try again mama to 3! H 11/07 and M 8/10 and B 8/12
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
We are planning to do 3 in a room together after this new baby comes. We technically have enough bedrooms to not have to, but I can't deal with being in the basement with all my little babies upstairs without me. So, until they are older they will all bunk together.

We moved the kids to our room, which is (marginally) bigger, but it allows for more layouts than theirs. We are debating between a full size bed for the girls to share and then the crib for the baby, or a twin, toddler and crib. We need another dresser, too.

There are almost no toys in their bedroom. Just the play kitchen and one of those 9-hole shelves that hold cloth bins holds their books and a few bins of toys played with less often. The changing table is a pad on top of a dresser, which I actually love because they don't outgrow it by height!

Each kid gets 3 drawers in the dresser. I've divided it a cuople of different ways, depending on how MUCH of each clothing item they have. If it doesn't all fit, we have to weed out a few things. We use that wire-grid shelving in the closet to hold sheets, blankets, outgrown clothes and a bunch of misc stuff. A few things are hung, mostly less often worn stuff like swimsuits and a couple dresses, sweatshirts, things like that.

Our laundry is "central" meaning we have one place for all dirty clothes and not multiple baskets in every room. I'm also in the process of moving the stuffed animals "up" into one of those pet net things.
I've thought about getting twin bunk beds for the 4&2 yo's but we're going to split them up next year when DS1 moves downstairs and my 2yo son has no fear. I don't want him climbing up on them and jumping off. I just got a text back from the CL person and I'll be hopefully picking up the bed tonight. I know it'll take up a lot more space than her current toddler bed, but I'm hoping that with the under bed storage it will free up enough drawers that
we can do without another dresser.

I also just put a changing pad on top of their dresser. Works great and I don't have to worry about finding room for a changing table, lol.

I think another part of my problem is that I've had to use the top of their closet as storage for things. If I could figure something else out for that stuff, I could put their blankets and linens and not-often-used items up there and free up even more dresser space.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
badmisterkitty's Avatar
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,649
Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

We also have a captain's bed for our oldest right now. The storage is great, but because the room is small the bed has to be up against the wall and only one side of the drawers is accessible.
__________________
Amy ~ Everything in moderation, WOH, glass half full, not committed to any labels, try, try again mama to 3! H 11/07 and M 8/10 and B 8/12
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.