Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

I don't know what to do, 4yo leaving the house

Last week, my husband left early to go job hunting and didn't say goodbye to anyone because we were all asleep. My 4yo wasn't, and got out of the house to chase him. I woke up to a stranger knocking on my door returning her.

Three days ago I woke up to find my kids gone. Door open, nowhere on site. My daughter had woken up early, got her brother up, and they left the house. We found them at the neighbors playing with her 3 year old.

This morning we woke to another knock on the door with yet someone else returning her.

I'm at a loss. She does not understand she did anything wrong. Any time I ask her a question, she just repeats what I say and we get nowhere.

I'm just so stressed about this, I have no idea what to do. Also, my husband was leads of three Weeks ago, the car died, and we got a notice today about or mortgage not being paid. So I'm a little stressed lately, so this isn't helping
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: I don't know what to do, 4yo leaving the house

Put different locks on the doors - either get key only locks or get a bolt style for up high.

I know money is tight but this is what we did with our front door as we have a flip lock:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...kuId=202944468

My husband uses the kitchen door which is a full key lock when he leaves/comes.

The other thing we may do is get chimes for the doors - Home Depot had some for under $20 so it just alerts you when the door opens. Nothing fancy. But, it just chimes each time the door is open.

You are lucky to have nice neighbors and others who are looking out for them. That is my biggest fear as my son plays with the lock.

You may also want to consider the tall baby gates for their room door. And, if they can't scale them, they have to call you/wake you to open them. Or, block off a hallway or some area.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try tying a kitchen towel around the doorknob? Like put it over the knob with a rubber band. It makes them slick and harder to turn, and covers the lock so they can't unlock the door.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was going to suggest an alarm as well.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get the hook and eye metal locks and install them up high where she can't reach.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would get the hook and eye metal locks and install them up high where she can't reach.
Yep. And a key lock for the door DH leaves from in the morning.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
we have these, they are great! very cheap and easily found at any hardware store, you dont even need tools to install them, they just screw right in (although it is easier if you put a screwdriver through the eye-hole and use that to spin it) we have them on all of the closet doors throughout the house that I do not want DS to get into, including his bi-fold closet doors in his room
we also have a gate on his room and if we had stairs, they would be gated as well
I think you should either get a double keyed deadbolt, so that your DH can lock up behind himself or just invest in a couple of baby gates, you can usually find them on your local craigslist!

I personally would not want my DS running all over the house while I was sleeping, I would much rather him be stuck in his room and have the peace of mind that he is safe... I couldnt imagine if he actually got out of the house!
the cheapest option is probably just latching your kids door on the outside (way up high) so they cant leave in the morning
but as other mamas have said, its a good idea to have multiple safety features in use at once for the best result

Last edited by KB'sMama1031; 05-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
KB'sMama1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
We have this only the hook is spring loaded so you can't just flip it up with a stick or something.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Door alarm!I have a 2yo escape artist.After the first time he got out onto our porch steps I went to Dollar Tree and bought door alarms and window alarms.He will never get out now without me knowing!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

What time in the morning is she waking and leaving?

Anyway, I would get the hook and eye locks. Those are super cheap. Also, I'd put a large bell on the tops of the door too. Those are also very inexpensive or free. You can rig up something loud so that you hear the door open every time.

How about putting a smaller bell on her bedroom door, or the bathroom door so you hear when she's awake.

And, finally, if the kids are waking up before you, you may need to wake up when they do, even if it's really early.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 05-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote