View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

So parents who vaccinate their kids, does it bother you when other people (especially in the community) don't vaccinate their kids (without a legitimate medical reason for abstaining- i.e. allergic to a component).

Usually things like this are regarded as a personal choice, but when issues like herd immunity come into play, the line between individual choice and community welfare gets a little muddy.

P.S. I live in Washington state, where we are in the middle of a whooping cough epidemic right now. The epidemic has been attributed (in large part) to a lack of herd immunity in this area, so this has been on my mind a lot lately.

DISCLAIMER: I did not start this thread to start drama on either side, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether this irks other people, or if it's just me.

A poll is coming...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Last I read, the majority of whooping cough cases in California were in the vaxed population?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Last I read, the majority of whooping cough cases in California were in the vaxed population?
Not sure about California, but in WA, it's largely in in unvaxxed or not fully vaxxed population. Right now the rates say that about 50% of the cases are "vaxed," however, our ped explained that when they make those rates, it counts any vaccine they have had for it, even if it was 25 years ago, which makes the results sound skewed.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep

Not sure about California, but in WA, it's largely in in unvaxxed or not fully vaxxed population. Right now the rates say that about 50% of the cases are "vaxed," however, our ped explained that when they make those rates, it counts any vaccine they have had for it, even if it was 25 years ago, which makes the results sound skewed.
Yes it's pretty bad here . We had dd in the hospital for rsv and they were glad she didn't have whooping cough. The er dr said that all the cases they've seen this time were from non vaxed people.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This!

I know my sister has been seeing a lot of whooping cough right now (I guess that makes sense since we are between Washington and California). Lots in the vaxed population - but there is also a severity issue of symptoms that makes a big difference in the vaxed and unvaxed.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737

This!

I know my sister has been seeing a lot of whooping cough right now (I guess that makes sense since we are between Washington and California). Lots in the vaxed population - but there is also a severity issue of symptoms that makes a big difference in the vaxed and unvaxed.
Can someone explain to me how someone gets an illness they've been vaccinated against? What's the point then?
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Can someone explain to me how someone gets an illness they've been vaccinated against? What's the point then?
Vaccines are not always 100% effective. You may still get the disease, but the antibodies that have built up in your body make it substantially less severe.

The point is that the vaccines work for most people. But, not everyone. You have no way of knowing if it is going to work for you til you get it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-19-2012 at 06:46 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More

Well the pertussis vax specifically does not even claim to protect against being infected. It only claims to lessen the symptoms IF it works.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I am quoting myself from the last post that talked about the number of incidence of disease in a vaxed v unvaxed population

When people say that more people get a disease that are vaxed than not vaxed, the statement is meaningless. It's like comparing the purchase of oranges and dragonfruit in central Ohio. Every store in central Ohio is going to have oranges for sale, but finding a dragonfruit is much more difficult. So, obviously more oranges are bought in central Ohio. But, given how many oranges there are and how few dragonfruit there are, it may well be that every dragonfruit in Ohio is purchased while a very small percentage of all oranges are purchased.

No vaccine is effective for 100% of the people. Most people are vaccinated, so there are actually more people walking around who have been vaccinated who are in that small percent of people who don't gain immunity than there are people who are unvaccinated. However, nearly 100% of the unvaccinated people are at risk for the disease, while a very small percent of vaccinated people are at risk. Basically, if you put 100 vaccinated people and one unvaccinated in a room with a whole lot of pertussis bacteria, the unvaccinated person has almost a 100% chance of contracting the disease, while only 15 or so of the vaccinated people will get it. Sure, if you say that 15 vaccinated people got the disease and only 1 unvaccinated got it, it sounds pretty bad. But, when you look at the meaninful data - 100% of the unvaccinated got the disease while only 15% of the vaccinated got it. From 100% down to 15% is a huge decrease in odds.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am quoting myself from the last post that talked about the number of incidence of disease in a vaxed v unvaxed population

When people say that more people get a disease that are vaxed than not vaxed, the statement is meaningless. It's like comparing the purchase of oranges and dragonfruit in central Ohio. Every store in central Ohio is going to have oranges for sale, but finding a dragonfruit is much more difficult. So, obviously more oranges are bought in central Ohio. But, given how many oranges there are and how few dragonfruit there are, it may well be that every dragonfruit in Ohio is purchased while a very small percentage of all oranges are purchased.

No vaccine is effective for 100% of the people. Most people are vaccinated, so there are actually more people walking around who have been vaccinated who are in that small percent of people who don't gain immunity than there are people who are unvaccinated. However, nearly 100% of the unvaccinated people are at risk for the disease, while a very small percent of vaccinated people are at risk. Basically, if you put 100 vaccinated people and one unvaccinated in a room with a whole lot of pertussis bacteria, the unvaccinated person has almost a 100% chance of contracting the disease, while only 15 or so of the vaccinated people will get it. Sure, if you say that 15 vaccinated people got the disease and only 1 unvaccinated got it, it sounds pretty bad. But, when you look at the meaninful data - 100% of the unvaccinated got the disease while only 15% of the vaccinated got it. From 100% down to 15% is a huge decrease in odds.
Thank you so much for articulating this in a way I never could.
Also, that one person in the room might leave the room and put even more vax'd and unvax'd people in contact with the disease.
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote