Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*


Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!




This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like.

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the new months if I forget - please do!



__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

So our last thread was in February! Ack, I'm sorry mamas! I was hoping someone would keep it going but I never really checked back. If I disappear again (I'll try not to, promise!) feel free to start the next month's thread for us. Just copy/paste the first post and title and we're good to go.

So in the last THREE MONTHS (gah!) what have you mamas been reading/loving? Whatcha reading now?

Do you find that you read more in the summer than in the winter? Or is it the opposite?
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

I've been reading a lot of larger books lately, which does nothing for my personal goal to read more books than last year but that's ok.

Since March, I've read:
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (audiobook version is terrible, book format is wonderful - the narrator's fake accent drove me nuts, so I switched)
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - very short read, wonderful epistolary novel between an author and an old bookstore in London
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - first time reading it at 32, can you believe it?! Loved it.
Dracula by Bram Stoker - really liked this one, also. I thought it was slow in a few parts, but I love epistolary novels so it didn't bug me too much.

I've also been listening to the Harry Potter books on audio. I've listened to the first 3 and am enjoying them! I've never read them but always wanted to, so I'm finally joining the club. LOL!

Currently I'm taking a small HP break and listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. LOVING it so far! The narration is perfect.

I'm also reading two great books - A Feast for Crows, the 4th book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series and also Daughter of the Forest, the 1st book in the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier.

I've heard a LOT of people not satisfied with the FfC book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It is taking a little bit to get used to the new characters and story lines, though. After 4,000+ pages into the series, introducing new complex story lines is a little hard to manage on top of the others, lol. So far so good though.

I have so many books on deck, I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. The 3 I'm working on are all fairly large though, so I suspect they'll carry through most of the month.

Oh! And I'm going on VACATION at the end of this month!! A whole week!! 9 days, actually. EEK! We're traveling to south Texas to visit my family and I cannot wait because it's right on the coast. I miss the beach SO MUCH and will be living on it for the full week we're down there. It IS a 24 hour drive, which means it'll take us a full 2 days to get down there and then another 2 days to get back. Hopefully my preggo self can handle it with 2 small kids and a grumpy DH (he wanted to fly but it wasn't in the budget). I'll have to do some smart book packing for the trip and I cannot wait!
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 06-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
FormallyMichele's Avatar
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,250
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
I've been reading a lot of larger books lately, which does nothing for my personal goal to read more books than last year but that's ok.

Since March, I've read:
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (audiobook version is terrible, book format is wonderful - the narrator's fake accent drove me nuts, so I switched)
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - very short read, wonderful epistolary novel between an author and an old bookstore in London
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - first time reading it at 32, can you believe it?! Loved it.
Dracula by Bram Stoker - really liked this one, also. I thought it was slow in a few parts, but I love epistolary novels so it didn't bug me too much.

I've also been listening to the Harry Potter books on audio. I've listened to the first 3 and am enjoying them! I've never read them but always wanted to, so I'm finally joining the club. LOL!

Currently I'm taking a small HP break and listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. LOVING it so far! The narration is perfect.

I'm also reading two great books - A Feast for Crows, the 4th book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series and also Daughter of the Forest, the 1st book in the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier.

I've heard a LOT of people not satisfied with the FfC book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It is taking a little bit to get used to the new characters and story lines, though. After 4,000+ pages into the series, introducing new complex story lines is a little hard to manage on top of the others, lol. So far so good though.

I have so many books on deck, I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. The 3 I'm working on are all fairly large though, so I suspect they'll carry through most of the month.

Oh! And I'm going on VACATION at the end of this month!! A whole week!! 9 days, actually. EEK! We're traveling to south Texas to visit my family and I cannot wait because it's right on the coast. I miss the beach SO MUCH and will be living on it for the full week we're down there. It IS a 24 hour drive, which means it'll take us a full 2 days to get down there and then another 2 days to get back. Hopefully my preggo self can handle it with 2 small kids and a grumpy DH (he wanted to fly but it wasn't in the budget). I'll have to do some smart book packing for the trip and I cannot wait!
I am on book three Storm of Swords! My husband and I are listening to the audio at night when the kids go to bed.
__________________
Mother to two lovely ladies
I make unique custom jewelry.
A $1 from every purchase helps to buy children's books for my local library. See fanpage for more information!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff View Post
I am on book three Storm of Swords! My husband and I are listening to the audio at night when the kids go to bed.
Ooh, that one made me SO mad! I almost gave the series up at a certain point in the book, but my friend urged me to continue on. Things do happen later on that made me happy, but that's all I'm a sayin' about that.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
FormallyMichele's Avatar
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,250
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
Ooh, that one made me SO mad! I almost gave the series up at a certain point in the book, but my friend urged me to continue on. Things do happen later on that made me happy, but that's all I'm a sayin' about that.
I think I finished the part you are talking about a night ago (hopefully, I can't imagine any more disappointing parts).
__________________
Mother to two lovely ladies
I make unique custom jewelry.
A $1 from every purchase helps to buy children's books for my local library. See fanpage for more information!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
FormallyMichele's Avatar
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,250
My Mood:
I'm going to start reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/1608820319[/url]

Just One Thing by Rick Hanson

I'm hoping to motivate myself to be more mindful and improve my mood and outlook . Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!
__________________
Mother to two lovely ladies
I make unique custom jewelry.
A $1 from every purchase helps to buy children's books for my local library. See fanpage for more information!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff View Post
I'm going to start reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/1608820319[/url]

Just One Thing by Rick Hanson

I'm hoping to motivate myself to be more mindful and improve my mood and outlook . Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!
Hey, that looks like something I'd really like to read! I just checked my library, it had one copy and the status is "lost and paid" so no luck there. My paperbackswap site doesn't have it listed, and I can't buy it for my Nook for less than $10. Amazon is still $8 + shipping for a used copy. Ebay is $9.60+ shipping. BOO!!! I'll add it to my paperbackswap wishlist and hopefully someone has it laying around and posts it.
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Rainfall's Avatar
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,021
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I just starting reading again after having my baby at the end of March. I am reading the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I'm taking this one super slowly because I am reading it aloud to my daughter.
Congrats on your new little bundle, mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I finished my re-read of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series and have started Into the Wilderness mainly because it was highly recommended by fans of The Outlander series but I'm not enjoying it all that much and am 30% in. I didn't start off loving Outlander either though so I'm giving it a good chance.
Let me know if you stick with it and like/hate it! I have Into the Wilderness on my short pile for this year and was thinking of starting it before the Outlander series. I've also heard the same thing - not as good as Outlander, but it's what most of the Outlander fans go to after reading the series. I figure if I started with the Into the Wilderness series, I won't be disappointed in following up with Outlander. LOL!
__________________
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Huxley's Avatar
Huxley
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,886
My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

I just starting reading again after having my baby at the end of March. I am reading the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I'm taking this one super slowly because I am reading it aloud to my daughter.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.