Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

(CIO) Cry It Out = Compassion Intentionally Obscured

I saw this on facebook and want to share it here. http://totscafe.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/cio-cry-it-out-compassion-intentionally-obscured/
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: (CIO) Cry It Out = Compassion Intentionally Obscured

To each their own I say.

Need not be your thing, but no one should be made to feel like less of a parent.

I think there are just as many misnomers about CIO as there are about attachment parenting.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
To each their own I say.

Need not be your thing, but no one should be made to feel like less of a parent.

I think there are just as many misnomers about CIO as there are about attachment parenting.
Thank you.

I've done both. My first daughter was a good CIO candidate. Not only was it not "horrifying" or "neglectful" it actually improved her health and mental well being. (From getting more sleep rather than less.)

My second daughter is NOT a candidate and I co-sleep with her and will likely do so for the foreseeable future.

Not all children are wired the same way and not all parents are wired the same way.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFoundFaith View Post
Thank you.

I've done both. My first daughter was a good CIO candidate. Not only was it not "horrifying" or "neglectful" it actually improved her health and mental well being. (From getting more sleep rather than less.)

My second daughter is NOT a candidate and I co-sleep with her and will likely do so for the foreseeable future.

Not all children are wired the same way and not all parents are wired the same way.
Yep. Same here. I had children that needed that little bit of crying to settle and slept much better that way, and others that slept better having me close all night.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
Yep. Same here. I had children that needed that little bit of crying to settle and slept much better that way, and others that slept better having me close all night.
Yep, I have 4 kids and found the same thing... 2 were one way and 2 were the other...
With my first baby, I tried so hard to fit him into the babywearing, cosleep, etc category; but he hated it and would cry at me the most when I tried to force my wants of that lifestyle on him. He needed to cry a bit before falling asleep on his own (and it was a much calmer cry than when I would be trying to rock him/bounce him/soothe him to sleep), have his own space, not be on my hip all the time, and so on. I realized then that babies are all so different and I needed to do what was best for HIM and forget all styles of parenting and just do what my gut said was right for each child I had!
My second child was the exact opposite of my first! haha. My third was like my first. My 4th baby like my second. Kinda funny how that worked out.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 06-05-2012 at 08:09 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
To each their own I say.

Yep! CIO may not be for every family or even every child in a particular family. That doesn't mean that anyone should try to make those who use it feel like unloving parents.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
To each their own I say.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
To each their own I say.

Agreed!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I rather liked the link, myself, though I know many wonderful moms who love their children deeply and passionately who have used CIO. As with most things, it's less a black-and-white topic than various shades of gray.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My 6-month-old will ONLY fall asleep crying. Catch her when she she's tired, lay her down wide awake, nurse her sleep, rocking, holding, cuddling, in the swing, laying her in a dark quiet room, in the car, in a sling, does not matter, she essentially CIO to sleep every freaking nap and almost every night for bed. She is my fourth child and the older three did NOT do this. We had our typical ups and downs with sleep, but my youngest just does this.

It does not make me uncompassionate. If I could do anything at all to change it, I would (and believe me, I have tried!). So I have essentially "given in" and when she just starts acting tired, I lay her in the crib, close the door, and walk away. She CIO four times a day, every day (3 naps and bedtime). When I try anything else, including holding and nursing her, she screams and becomes hysterical. This has been going on for probably two months. She is otherwise happy, loving, and totally healthy. People comment all the time what a cute, happy baby she is. This is just how she goes to sleep. I believe in following my baby's cues, and believe me, I never expected CIO to be something "normal" for a baby, but it is for her!
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote