Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:
any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Do you have any restrictions or rules for your kids clothing? Or would you in the future when they are older (tween, teen)??

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope! But I don't have a girl. And I DO find that people over sexualize their girls. Not hard to do with today's clothing options
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

When we are home I would like for them to at least wear underwear but I am okay if they would rather be naked. When we go out their outfits much match and be appropriate for where we are going. Clothes must fit properly and be age appropiate
Restrictions
Boys
No sleeveless shirts
No tall socks with shorts
No polo shirts (I think the material feels yucky)

Girls
No spaghetti straps without a t-shirt underneath
Always must wear shorts or pants under dresses
No short shorts

Socks must always be worn in tennis shoes
Diapers must not contrast with clothes
No Obvious brand names on clothing
No messages on clothing
no holes or stains or wrinkles
Very few approved characters
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Mine are 18 months and 3 year old girls. Restrictions include: no baby bikinis (they just ick me out), try to avoid super short shorts and tightly fitted jeans (the 2nd for comfort reasons, I usually buy boys jeans). Generally no halter tops unless there is another shirt underneath, wear a pair of shorts under dresses. I also hate character stuff, so none of their clothes has disney princess or dora or tinker bell or anything on it, though we do have a pair of Lightning McQueen Slippers (DD1 is crazy about cars in general), and a few hand me down Winney the Pooh things. Nothing that floofs around the chest and gives the illusions of 'breasts'.

Since they are younger, and DD1 picks out her own clothes, her outfits don't always match. My personal favorite was a bright orange shirt, bright pink shorts, blue sandals, with her winter hat and mittens. :P

I'm sure as they get older we will have other rules. My parents were pretty laid back about clothes, and I made reasonably good choices.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Current rules for the girls (who are 6 years old and 13 months old):

No bikinis
Skirts/dresses/shorts must fall no shorter than (approx) a couple of inches above the knee.
No shirts with rude language (goes for the boys too).

When they're older:
Spagetti straps must have another shirt underneath.
Low cut shirts must have another shirt underneath.
Same rule as above for dresses/skirts/shorts.

I'm sure there will be more as they get to be teens and I notice stuff...lol.

ETA: No words on the bum! There are enough weirdos out there checking out little girls. I certainly DON'T want to call even MORE attention to that region. Hmmm...now what about words across the chest? Good question. Right now, I am allowing it. Why? Another good question...I don't have an answer to. Maybe it's ok b/c the girls chests are developed at a young age. I will re-consider when they start developing.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.

Last edited by mama2cntrykids; 07-03-2012 at 07:15 AM.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're not big on character clothes, particularly newer characters. I don't mind "classic" cartoon characters that have been around for a long time though (like popeye) but in moderation.

No light-up shoes. No crazy-colored shoes. I like my kids shoes to match a majority of their clothing...and I've found that most of the shoes that are marketed towards kids in the way of characters/lights/insane colors fall apart and/or have poor quality anyway.

I always try to coordinate baby's shirt w/his diaper if he's not wearing longies or shorties, especially if we're going out anywhere. Not necessarily a rule...just how I am

DD is 4yo...so I prefer her dresses to be at least knee-length and if her skirts are shorter than that (which they usually are, because it seems impossible to find a non-mini skirt for a child her age ), they have to have panties/shorts built in underneath. She's been taught to sit like a lady, keep her legs crossed, not act crazy/hang upside down/do flips while wearing skirts...but she's 4...so 'nuff said

No holes/stains unless they're around the house. I'll occasionally let 6yo DS wear jeans with a SMALL hole in the knee, but nothing crazy.

I don't care so much about brand names, but DH won't let the kids wear anything from Old Navy because "everything says OLD NAVY really huge on it"...that said...they still wear Old Navy stuff without the logo/name, and for some reason they can wear other brand stuff with the name on it...he just hates Old Navy

My kids always wear no-show socks with sneakers, but that's just because I hate how socks look peeking out of shoes.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

For both of them:
Must match.
Must be clean.
Must be appropriate size.

For DD:
Shorts must be at least mid-thigh length.
Skirts/dresses have to be long enough for her to bend over in without exposing herself.
No bikinis.
No plunging necklines.
No writing on the chest or butt.
No heels.
No make-up.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For my boys while out in public, it must be clean. At home, anything goes. Ww

This applies to my boys when we're out in public. While at home, comfort is most important. My 5 year old spends his days in underwear, cause, well, it's danged hot! i have no problem with it. He even runs around in the house naked and it doesn't bother us. He just dislikes clothes, and always has. Jake is 22 months old and is naked while at home or at Nanna's house, because we're potty training him, and it is working really well.

For Ava....well, she's only 7 weeks, but there will be tons. Heck, even now she must have a cover over diaper if it's disposable. I will do leggings when she gets older. No bikini....that's just gross. Shirts under spaghetti straps, and all that.

I do allow the boys to choose their clothes, and while I would prefer they match, I don't fuss too much if they're set on wearing a batman shirt with star wars shoes. I won't let them leave the house in brown shorts and black shoes, though....it gets to me, lol.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

For both of them:
Must match.
Must be clean.
Must be appropriate size.

For DD:
Shorts must be at least mid-thigh length.
Skirts/dresses have to be long enough for her to bend over in without exposing herself.
No bikinis.
No plunging necklines.
No writing on the chest or butt.
No heels.
No make-up.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

I like all these restrictions!! I agree with most of them. I really do try to stay away from "character clothing", but there are some things DD likes so much (Rapunzel, Fancy Nancy, and Dora) that some of those find their way into her wardrobe. We do not now (and probably will never) allow 2-pieces other than a tankini with SHORTS. I'm VERY picky about swim wear. DD won't wear any strapless dresses/shirts. Also I won't allow dresses without bloomers or shorts underneath when she's young. I HATE little girls underwear being shown (can't blame them, though, they're just playing and having fun).

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THING OF THIS RULE: When she's older, no shorts/skirts above the knee.

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote