Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
sami_fran
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Naps for 2 y/os..

DD is 2 well 3 in Oct..... Does she need to nap during the day? If she does she's up late at night if she doesn't it's melt down city around dinner....

So do I let her nap and if so how long?
Or do I keep her and how can I help the melt downs....any ideas?!?

Thanks ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I could have posted this mama. Dd will also be 3 in oct and has recently ditched her nap. We've been battling over it for a couple of months now, and I've recently given up. If I finally got her down (after an hour of struggling) she would be up until 10 or 11pm; no thanks lol. Everyday around meltdown time I try and switch up the activity we're doing. By 6:30 we have our bath and start our wind down. By 7-7:30 she's snoring. It makes for earlier mornings, but the couple of hours of quiet at night is totally worth it.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Naps for 2 y/os..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolenutt View Post
I could have posted this mama. Dd will also be 3 in oct and has recently ditched her nap. We've been battling over it for a couple of months now, and I've recently given up. If I finally got her down (after an hour of struggling) she would be up until 10 or 11pm; no thanks lol. Everyday around meltdown time I try and switch up the activity we're doing. By 6:30 we have our bath and start our wind down. By 7-7:30 she's snoring. It makes for earlier mornings, but the couple of hours of quiet at night is totally worth it.
That was us exactly. My dd will be 3 in a few weeks and hasn't napped for about 3 months. After the first month or so, she must have gotten more used to it or was getting more rest at night or something, because the cranky evening time got a lot better.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl Jan View Post
I have read in so many places that kids needs a daily nap until kindergarten. So I personally am going to try to institute a better routine.
I have never heard this. I don't know how there could be a one-size fits all sleep requirement for kids. I simply cannot imagine my 4 year old taking a nap, ever. Even on 6 hour car rides neither of mine (4 and 2) take a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
I really do believe some don't need as much sleep. Not only have mine all stopped naps at a young age they have done so without melt downs in the evening.
I think this is the key when deciding about naps. If the child is not melting down, not showing indications of tiredness, and is sleeping well at night (say a good 10 to 12 hours), waking up rested, then I wouldn't try to impose a nap. If the child is melting down, is obviously tired and doesn't sleep well and wakes up cranky, then a nap is in order. I don't think it has anything to do with age, but rather the child's general temperament.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

DS will be three in oct and is ditching his nap some days, too. He usually takes one when he's at daycare, but they really run them ragged in the morning. When he's home on the weekend he is rarely napping anymore, although sometimes he crashes between 4 and 5. Today despite a walk this morning he only slept for about 15 minutes (I drove around for half an hour instead of fighting with him).
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Isla will be 3 in Oct as well On the weekends she naps from about 1:30-3:30 and goes to bed at 7 without issue. On weekdays she is in daycare and does not nap. She is exhausted by 6:30 and cranky and goes to bed early. I plan to continue the naps until she stops falling asleep during them. My ODD gave up naps around age 2.5 completely.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
At that age dd1 just needed quiet time. We eventually worked up to 2hrs. She would lay quietly in bed 'reading' or playing with her babies. She didnt need the sleep but she really needed the down time.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I seem to produce wacky babies who don't need sleep, but both mine stopped napping around 18 months. I had the same problem - if they napped they were up late. It took about a week to adjust so they weren't melting down at supper time then they were fine. I think I did make their bedtime earlier while they were adjusting. Some kids have much lower sleep needs. I remember being so upset with DD1 when she dropped to one map at 8 months...I thought she HAD to have 2 because the books all said babies that age needed two. LOL. I say drop the nap for a week and if it's miserable,, implement it again but maybe shorten it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic
I seem to produce wacky babies who don't need sleep, but both mine stopped napping around 18 months. I had the same problem - if they napped they were up late. It took about a week to adjust so they weren't melting down at supper time then they were fine. I think I did make their bedtime earlier while they were adjusting. Some kids have much lower sleep needs. I remember being so upset with DD1 when she dropped to one map at 8 months...I thought she HAD to have 2 because the books all said babies that age needed two. LOL. I say drop the nap for a week and if it's miserable,, implement it again but maybe shorten it.
This is my babies to a t. I enforce a quiet time every day but they don't sleep. They get to have a movie on for quiet time and it is over when the movie is over. It makes it easy for them to judge the time and not keep calling for me to ask if they can be done. I try to pick long, boring movies.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1 gave up her nap completely by 18 months. She just turned three. Every great once in a while she naps by accident and is awake at night until 1am. For that reason, we just don't do naps and deal with the meltdowns.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote