Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Benefits of raw or goat's milk?

Hi! I just joined a CSA and it offers both raw and goats milk. I've never had either. Are there any benefits? Currently we just do Horizon organic and I am off dairy because it bothers my nursling. Thanks!!
Mom2Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
agzip03
Registered Users

DS1 loves goat mill. She asks for it at least once a week.
agzip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Benefits of raw or goat's milk?

http://www.realmilk.com/rawmilkoverview.html This should help you with the raw cow's milk. We drink it and DH is a scientist and looked into it before we started and couldn't find a reason not to drink it. I was raised on it for a while too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
http://www.realmilk.com/rawmilkoverview.html This should help you with the raw cow's milk. We drink it and DH is a scientist and looked into it before we started and couldn't find a reason not to drink it. I was raised on it for a while too.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Nimyue
Registered Users
seller

Raw milk makes AMAZING homemade yogurt!
Nimyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
jbow345305
Registered Users
seller

I was first intimidated by raw milk but after reading up on it, it is so fun and tastes great! You can make homemade cottage cheese, cream cheese, butter, mozzarella, you name it!! : ) Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook has excellent information and recipes.
jbow345305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We love our raw cow's milk. Read The Untold Story of Milk if you want an in-depth study on its benefits. SO good for you.

ETA: it's important to do your homework on the cows / goats that are producing the milk you'd be drinking. There are certain types and breeds that are better and less riskier in regards to illness than others.

Last edited by crazyeyesmcgee; 07-05-2012 at 02:33 PM.
crazyeyesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

I second reading The Untold Story of Milk. It was fascinating.

DD (now 2 yrs) can't drink straight pasteurized milk but can do raw milk. I actually stopped nursing at 2 months with her and gave her soy formula because of a dairy intolerance issue. She does fine with other forms of processed dairy (yogurt, cheese) but can't drink it. I don't know how scientific it is but with my family she accidentally ingested about a cup of pasteurized milk and then had diarrhea (the normal result after drinking it) so I figure I'll be glad for the farmers market tomorrow so we can get some more milk for her!

Also, with DS I was avoiding dairy nursing as it was causing blood in his stool. He's either outgrown it, or raw milk is a miracle liquid because if I drink raw milk he has no problem.

I figure at this point in my life raw milk is something I'm willing to pay big bucks for. Maybe at another time we won't be able to or I won't be willing to, but for now every time I buy it I feel like I'm buying liquid gold it's so delicious.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Mae View Post
I second reading The Untold Story of Milk. It was fascinating.

DD (now 2 yrs) can't drink straight pasteurized milk but can do raw milk. I actually stopped nursing at 2 months with her and gave her soy formula because of a dairy intolerance issue. She does fine with other forms of processed dairy (yogurt, cheese) but can't drink it. I don't know how scientific it is but with my family she accidentally ingested about a cup of pasteurized milk and then had diarrhea (the normal result after drinking it) so I figure I'll be glad for the farmers market tomorrow so we can get some more milk for her!

Also, with DS I was avoiding dairy nursing as it was causing blood in his stool. He's either outgrown it, or raw milk is a miracle liquid because if I drink raw milk he has no problem.

I figure at this point in my life raw milk is something I'm willing to pay big bucks for. Maybe at another time we won't be able to or I won't be willing to, but for now every time I buy it I feel like I'm buying liquid gold it's so delicious.
Glad to hear that - I am interested in trying and seeing if it still bothers the baby
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
FarmingMama
Registered Users
seller

Raw goats milk is awesome and the only thing that I will ever feed my kids/infants or drink myself! Your so fortunate that you have a place to get it.
FarmingMama is online now   Reply With Quote