Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
emerino
Registered Users

What age do you stop putting the kids to bed?

As in, stop tucking in, singing songs, reading books, praying with them, or whatever you do with your LO's before bed?

Apparently DH told the kids (4 & 5) to put themselves to bed tonight. They are certainly capable and it's tempting, but I just think those bedtime moments are still important at their ages. I'm sure DH isn't planning on doing that every night, I think he just wanted to watch the Olympic trials
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What age do you stop putting the kids to bed?

I have to turn DD's music on because she can't reach it, but she puts herself to bed. She's 5. When she gets in trouble and loses her music, she puts herself to bed. She comes out for hugs and kisses if I forget, though.

ETA: I still have to help with her bath, remind her to brush her teeth, and take her ice cubes/water. We read books, but do that in DS's room.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-02-2012 at 10:58 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still put my boys to bed every night. Typically I read to them and tuck them in (turn on music, give Tharen his melatonin and kiss them before turning out the light). Even on nights that we have run late and don't have time for reading or Tharen has lost reading privileges I still tuck in quickly. I like to touch base with them before bed. I will sometimes let Kearnan stay up to read so I turn the music on and kiss him goodnight, he turns the light out for himself before he goes to sleep. They are 10 and 6 and I don't see it ending anytime real soon.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 3.5 and I plan to tuck her in as long as she will let me. I think it's important. I don't necessarily want to stay in there with her until she falls asleep like we have to now (which we are desperately trying to not do anymore), but reading a story, giving a kiss and saying sweet dreams is a great thing to do befroe falliing asleep. I was tucked in until middle school (maybe 12ish) probably, it wasn't real time consuming at that point but my mom would kiss me good night, say sweet dreams, etc and turn out the lights.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I still tuck in my 10.5 year old. He gets ready for bed and reads until lights out, then I come in and turn out the light, hugs, kisses, etc.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I still tuck in my 10.5 year old. He gets ready for bed and reads until lights out, then I come in and turn out the light, hugs, kisses, etc.
Same here, our oldest is 11.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I will until they don't want me to anymore. DD is almost 5. She still wants me to tuck her in, she can put herself to bed she just doesn't want to. She just recently decided she didn't want me to come with her while she brushes her teeth.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I still put my kids to bed as well, my ds1 is almost 10, dd1 is 7 and ds2 is 4.5, they all enjoy it and so do I. I will stop when they ask me to.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our oldest is 5, and he is still part of the nighttime routine. We prefer to put him to bed - we read together as a family at bed time before saying goodnight. I don't really see this going away anytime soon. I'm looking forward to starting some chapter books with him.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
MomAtLast
Registered Users
seller

With my step-daughter (who lives with us full time) it was late middle school when she stopped wanting it. There were certainly nights I could have done without the whole routine, but that time is precious and fleeting. I am not going to give it up willingly with my two little ones!
MomAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote