Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
mamma mia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Birth Center/ Midwife costs vs. hospital birth?

I'm a little unsure of where to post this question...but I'll start here.
My husband just changed jobs and they only offer major medical insurance, no maternity, :/

We have never had this problem before (we have had three children born in a hospital with 80% fees covered through insurance).
Now we are hoping to have another baby in the near future but don't know how we would pay for these costs in full, out of pocket.

We are looking into using a midwife and/or birthing center. I have heard the costs can be much less doing this (plus I've always liked the idea of using a birth center rather than a hospital).

Has anyone else used a birthing center? If so, how much were your total costs (if you don't mind me asking)?

I guess I should note that our nearest birthing center is 45 minutes away, while our hospital is 3 blocks away. I guess that is one of the main reasons we have used the hospital thus far.

TIA!
Homeschooling, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, breastfeeding, craft-lovin', mom of 3- DD1(6), DS(4), and DD2 (2) and am excited to be expecting #4 in September!

Check out my ETSY shop for mother and daughter bracelet sets and more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/RichelleDesigns
mamma mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Birth Center/ Midwife costs vs. hospital birth?

I went to a birth center. My middle dd was a scheduled birth center birth but due to complications we transferred during labor to the hospital. But the entire birth would have cost us about $5500 out of pocket at the birthcenter. That included all prenatal appointments, my midwife fees, facility fee, newborn care, a homevisit at 2 days pp and 2 pp checkups. It didn't include my labs or u/s.

Just as a comparison the hospital bill was about $12K with my middle dd (before insurance of course). That was about 24 hours at the hospital, blood transfusion, the backup ob, and then all the other newborn care. But I do think the transfusions were expensive so I'm not sure how much less it would have been without those.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
sarahwinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 1 hospital birth and 2 homebirths and I think the whole enchilada was $3600 for prenatal delivery and postnatal care + any labwork or ultrasounds. I am on OHP the state's low income pregnancy insurance coverage when I get knocked up so its FREE of charge for me to deliver at home. The midwife comes to my house and visits me instead of having to pack 3 kids to the Dr's office too
Sarah Butcher
sarahwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwinks View Post
I have had 1 hospital birth and 2 homebirths and I think the whole enchilada was $3600 for prenatal delivery and postnatal care + any labwork or ultrasounds. I am on OHP the state's low income pregnancy insurance coverage when I get knocked up so its FREE of charge for me to deliver at home. The midwife comes to my house and visits me instead of having to pack 3 kids to the Dr's office too
Sarah Butcher
That must be awesome!!! Our state pregnancy medi-cal doesn't cover homebirth at all. They do cover a birth center, but I'm not sure how it all works.

If I didn't have insurance, I deliver at the birth center because it's about $5000, but they give discounts for no insurance families.
I wish my insurance covered the birth center!!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma mia
I'm a little unsure of where to post this question...but I'll start here.
My husband just changed jobs and they only offer major medical insurance, no maternity, :/

We have never had this problem before (we have had three children born in a hospital with 80% fees covered through insurance).
Now we are hoping to have another baby in the near future but don't know how we would pay for these costs in full, out of pocket.

We are looking into using a midwife and/or birthing center. I have heard the costs can be much less doing this (plus I've always liked the idea of using a birth center rather than a hospital).

Has anyone else used a birthing center? If so, how much were your total costs (if you don't mind me asking)?

I guess I should note that our nearest birthing center is 45 minutes away, while our hospital is 3 blocks away. I guess that is one of the main reasons we have used the hospital thus far.

TIA!
What state are you in?

In California, new laws require employers to provide maternity coverage.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
urbanflower
Registered Users

I use a midwife who charges $1500 I treasure each one of my births and would never do it any other way. The tender loving care from my midwife is worth even more than the thousands and thousands spent in hospitals. So affordable but even more of a reason for choosing this option is it is MY choice, My wishes, MY desires, MY home, MY body and MY birth and it is beautiful.
urbanflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Ky-Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our first Hospital Birth = 6000 with a midwife attending. The same midwife at her birthing center would have been 3500 but ds came at 35 wks so no go on yhe center our last dd was a homebirth, 1500.
Momma to four little miracles! E 07-23-2006 35wks, J 08-15-2007 32wks, A 04-21-2009 34wks, K 07-06-2011 39wks cautiously expecting #5 in Feb '13
Ky-Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

I paid out of pocket for the last two for homebirths. They were 3000 each and that covered everything, including home visits, which rocked!! My two hospital births were around 11,000, and I paid about 2800 of it.

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homebirth here is around $3500-$5000 depending on the midwife.

Sent from my iPhone
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

The average hospital birth is something like $12k. A local freestanding birth center charges $6k, and local homebirth midwives charge $2k.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote