Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
microwave or toaster oven?

Our microwave just died, and I've been wondering if a toaster oven would be better. Besides microwave popcorn, is there anything that can't go in the toaster oven or on the stove?
"Mama" to my sweet Josie, and welcome baby Lilia 9/24 via successful vbac!
yankeesundbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: microwave or toaster oven?

If you need to quick defrost, it'd be harder without a microwave... but you are making me think now.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: microwave or toaster oven?

I have been microwave free for a year now and I am really happy. Certainly don't need one. In fact when you live like this you start wondering who the brilliant marketer was that made us all think that we needed a device that seems to only good for popping popcorn, or turning food into rubber.
Jennifer (38) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
My Mood:
I use my microwave a lot. When I make granola, I warm up the honey and coconut oil in there. My husband boils water for the Neti. Frozen peas, frozen soup, we eat sprouted bagels and English muffins that are frozen, and any kind of defrosting... Coffee reheats, spaghetti reheats. It would be a bit tough on me, but I could probably do without if I had to. My husband had a toaster oven coming into our relationship and it was so bulky I suggested he take it to work.
Danielle, Nick, Gigi ('08) and William ('11)
Happy Family
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Users
We have been microwave free for over 3 years now. There isn't anything I cannot cook without it.

I've learned to make popcorn on the stove, perfect rice on the stove and the best is thanksgiving leftovers are so much better in the oven.

If I needed something defrosted I set it in water if I forget to take it out before work.

I won't ever use own one again. What a waste of counter space.
If I needed something besides an oven/stove I woul go with a toaster oven. I use the one we have at work all the time, I cooked a frozen pizza in it this morning for breakfast.
Wife to Arron Jr.
Mama to Arron III
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote