Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Heated Topic: Vaccinating... but I have a serious question

Mothers,

Please help me!!! I am looking for a scientific book about why not to vaccinate. I am a nurse by profession, and have done pediatrics and was always for vaccinating. My first 2 children are vaccinated. My 3rd is 18 months and has only received a few, then I started thinking if they were necessary for my child, and hasn't received anything else. I don't really want to vaccinate, but there is SO MUCH contradictory material.

The newest thing I read freaked me out, on the NON-Vax side. A doctor was saying that vaccines aren't for the safety of our older children, but for the safety of our babies, and prevent infant mortality. They were saying that when a child doesn't get vaccinated and they get, lets say, whooping cough, they may be fine, but their younger "baby" sibling may not be, and may die, or all the other babies they come in contact with all the weeks they are infectious. So even if you choose to vaccinate your children, a baby is still susceptible to catching things that could kill them if other people don't vaccinate. They were saying that what you choose to do affects the community and everyone around you. They were saying that is why infant mortality is so low in the U.S. now is because of vaccines, and that we will start to see a rise in infant deaths due to the trend of not vaccinating.

I want to find some books that are medically researched, like written by a naturopath who can explain to me why we shouldn't vaccinate. Where can I find that. I am new to all the natural stuff, and have been doing the more natural approach for about a year now, eating many things organic, no antibiotics unless deathly necessary, and non-medicating, etc, etc, and given my traditional medical background, I am well versed on the VAX side, so I would like something credible on the Non-Vax side.

Thanks so much, and please moms, be nice in your response. I am truly searching for the best thing for my child and am very conflicted at this point

Last edited by hollybabies; 07-23-2012 at 06:02 AM.
hollybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have heard a lot of mamas talk about a video from Dr. Tenpenny. I am not sure of the title but a quick google search should find it. She might also have a book. I'm not a huge help- I prefer to stay out of these conversations,

Edit: there is a lot of info here: http://drtenpenny.com/

Last edited by traderbren; 07-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.
traderbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Heated Topic: Vaccinating... but I have a serious question

I really like Dr. Sears 'The Vaccine Book' as I felt it strove to be balanced and present all angles on the vaccination issue. It was not scare-mongering from either side of things which I appreciated.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquelita
I really like Dr. Sears 'The Vaccine Book' as I felt it strove to be balanced and present all angles on the vaccination issue. It was not scare-mongering from either side of things which I appreciated.
I felt the same. Of course this wasn't the ONLY advice I took. He also has references on his website and there were a couple other people that I looked up. I'll have to dig out my research papers

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
clothrookie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothrookie3 View Post
I felt the same. Of course this wasn't the ONLY advice I took. He also has references on his website and there were a couple other people that I looked up. I'll have to dig out my research papers

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Please do I am looking for unbiased, just the facts type of info. And I don't want a lot of heated anger on either side.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah (coming from a mom who is very pro vaccinations) I agree with Raquelita, Dr Sears has a good book. Very matter of fact and unbiased.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

do you have access to any med searches still or are you no practicing? When I am trying to find research studies I often use search engines like ERIC or CINHAL or MedSearch. I am an OT by trade.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraB View Post
do you have access to any med searches still or are you no practicing? When I am trying to find research studies I often use search engines like ERIC or CINHAL or MedSearch. I am an OT by trade.
No, I don't. But if you know something let me know
Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
browneyedgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll third (fourth?) the rec for the Dr Sears book.
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
kellfran
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its true when they talk about herd immunity. When it gets too low, there could be a problem. The Sears book is good, also Frontline did a documentary on Vaccine's a little while ago, very informative--you can watch it online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/
kellfran is offline   Reply With Quote