Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Blossom of Snow
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Those who use bleach in every wash

How many rinses does it take to get the bleach smell out???

Okay, so I love my routine and it works. Prerinse-hot wash/warm rinse - extra rinse. I'm using All F&C right now, no problems. I love the simplicity of my wash, and frankly I don't really need the extra rinse at the end, I use that to add ecover to my prefolds. Today I decided to use some bleach since I've noticed that the EBF poopy dipes have been turning...pinkish...in the pail Anywho, normal wash gets them clean but I figured a little bleach couldn't hurt, and since it's like 100+ degrees here there's probably extra bacteria in the pail. I added only 1/4c of bleach and after 2 extra rinses I could still smell bleach.

I don't normally use bleach because 1)I hate it and it gives me headaches 2) it won't rinse out easily. Our water is chlorinated, (but I've had worse if you kwim) would this matter? Oh, and my washer is a normal TL, a large load, so plenty of water.
TIA!!
Blossom of Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I use it, I put it in the first cycle. I do a short warm/warm wash with detergent and bleach. Then a second long hot/cold cycle with more detergent. That seems to get out the bleach smell.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Those who use bleach in every wash

I do a warm prewash with detergent and bleach, a hot wash with detergent, and an extra rinse. I don't really notice if there's still a bleach smell after they're dry. You can always use vinegar instead of ecover as a fabric softener to cut the bleach smell.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ditto. I add it to the prewash when I use it, usually with no detergent though. Then I do the regular hot wash and rinse. By the time they are out of the dryer I don't smell anything.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wash dipes as normal and then I run a rinse and add bleach and then I will run an extra cold rinse.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Blossom of Snow
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ah, thank you ladies! Y'all really are a helpful bunch I'll try bleach in the pre-rinse next time. I never did before because I was worried it would react with the toxic toddler pee DD is PLing now so I only have the overnight diaper to deal with (yay!) and that can easily be hand rinsed.
Blossom of Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

I recently did some research on diaper warranties and found that most brands (except for bumgenius) will void the warranty if you use bleach. It wreaks havoc on elastic and PUL. Then again, a lot of detergents also void the warranty (like Tide).
kbevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never had bleach do anything to the PUL or elastic and I have never had to use a waaranty. They are all made from the same materials, usually from the same distributor, so it makes no sense that it would be fine for one diaper but not another. I've been using it for years so I say go ahead and get your diapers disinfected. As long as you are not sticking your head in the washer before it rinses I don't see how the urine and bleach would be a problem. It just gets rinsed out.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote