Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

Measuring ahead??

I'll be 33 wks tomorrow and my last 3 appointments I've been measureing 2 weeks ahead. They want me to go have another u/s to see how big the baby is. I know that u/s can be up to 2 lbs off so I'm not sure what good it really will do but I'll get to see baby again

Has anyone had any experience with this? How big was your baby?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Last week I was 33 weeks yet measuring 37 weeks. I had a growth u/s done and Baby was supposedly 5lbs, 3oz (60%). I have no idea how accurate that is, though - with my last baby I had a couple of growth u/s, all indicating that my baby was enormous...and he was born weighing 7lbs, 5oz.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
With dd1 there was a few times I measured 2-3 wks ahead. She ended up being 8lbs6oz. Dd2 measured 1-3wks ahead a few times too and she ended up being 10lbs6ozs.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Measuring ahead??

I've always measured a 1-3wks ahead (although once with DS2 I had a big jump to 5-6wks ahead, along with increased contractions; u/s showed an increase in fluids). Once baby drops, near edd, I end up measuring right on or maybe a week behind.
Babies were:
8lb 4oz
8lb 5oz
9lb 7oz
8lb 14oz
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always measured 2 - 4 weeks ahead. Two of my babies were average to slightly above average size at birth and two would've been big if they had been carried for longer.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I measured 4+ weeks ahead with both of mine. They were 9lb12oz and 8lb11oz.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Consistently measuring ahead typically isn't an issue. So many factors can constribute and mess up fundal height measurements- position of baby, body fat, amount of fluid, etc. Suddenly measuring several weeks ahead or behind can sometimes be a red flag, but again, positioning etc can be the cause.

Now, I love ultrasounds too, but make sure you know what you're gonna do with the information they give you. If they say you're having a giant baby and will have to be induced early or have a section how will you feel? If you're totally against those things (at least for a big baby being the sole reason) I'd probably skip the ultrasound. It can open up a can of worms. But if you trust your doctors and feel they'll use the information gained intelligently then go for it. Good luck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Consistently measuring ahead typically isn't an issue. So many factors can constribute and mess up fundal height measurements- position of baby, body fat, amount of fluid, etc. Suddenly measuring several weeks ahead or behind can sometimes be a red flag, but again, positioning etc can be the cause.

Now, I love ultrasounds too, but make sure you know what you're gonna do with the information they give you. If they say you're having a giant baby and will have to be induced early or have a section how will you feel? If you're totally against those things (at least for a big baby being the sole reason) I'd probably skip the ultrasound. It can open up a can of worms. But if you trust your doctors and feel they'll use the information gained intelligently then go for it. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my u/s at exactly 33wks and they estimated she weights 6lbs. I next appt isn't until Thursday and I'll see the Dr not the PA so I guess we'll see what she says. I'm not opposed to doing things (starting at 37 wks) to try and encourage her to come earlier on her own like stripping membranes but I don't want to be induced before 40 wks and will not agree to a c-section based on her size alone. They want to do another u/s at 37wks but I think I'm going to decline that one. I don't see what good it will do and even though I have insurance I'll have to pay for 20%.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
melgmom
Registered Users

Baby measuring 2 weeks ahead consistently and the head is measuring 3 or 4 weeks ahead but I'm not that concerned because both the hubs and I have large noggins and come from a long line of big babies. The hub was 10lbs at birth and 24inches long. I'm hoping DS is a little smaller but my OB is not concerned so I'm not either.
melgmom is offline   Reply With Quote