Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Question about timing and weight

Okay, I'm assuming that a bigger baby could complicate a VBAC a bit more. What did your healthcare provider suggest in terms of a healthy/optimal weight gain for VBAC success?

Also, my last baby (c-section) was a week shy of her first birthday when I found out I was pregnant again. She will be about 20 months when this next baby is due. Is it too soon for a VBAC?
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about timing and weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug1 View Post
Okay, I'm assuming that a bigger baby could complicate a VBAC a bit more. What did your healthcare provider suggest in terms of a healthy/optimal weight gain for VBAC success?

Also, my last baby (c-section) was a week shy of her first birthday when I found out I was pregnant again. She will be about 20 months when this next baby is due. Is it too soon for a VBAC?
my first vbac baby was smaller then my c/s baby but that is because he was a 36 weeker. My next vbac was bigger then my c/s baby by 6oz.

Also my first c/section and my vbac we're only 13 months apart.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My section babies were 7 & 8 lbs. My vbac was 9lbs 6oz!
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My c-section daughter was 7lbs 2oz and I gained 50lbs. My vbac was 9lbs 8oz and I only gained 38!! I have no idea on magic numbers

I think at least 18 months between births is ideal so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some doctors would probably think that 20 months is too close, but I don't think there's any real research suggesting that there is a higher rupture rate with pregnancies close together. Most will agree that the healing is really done by 3-6 months pp at the latest.
The best you can do is to eat healthily and a balanced diet. Do the research and don't let anyone scare you into a decision. Try to avoid the circumstances that led to the first c-section, if possible. Try to identify what those might have been if you aren't sure.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Thank you everyone...this is all very reassuring.
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

My first baby was born by csection at 40 +3 or 4 days and weighed 6lbs 7oz and I gained 30lbs.
My second was an attempted vbac. My doctor spoke a word about weight or what size my baby should be. My second was born at 39 weeks + 3 days and weighed 6lbs 7oz. I gained 25lbs.
We are currently TTC and I'm planning on trying for a vbac again.
My two kids are 17 months apart. My littlest is 8months which is the same age my first was when I got pregnant with my second.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friends babies are 11 months apart and then 13 months apart
C section
Vbac home birth
Another
Vbac home birth

The vbac babies were bigger than the c section baby
Good luck
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

My doctor never brought up weight gain at all in regards to a vbac. My first, who was a c-sec was 8lb 6oz at 40 weeks. My second who was a vbac was 8lbs 8oz at 39 weeks, he was born 16 months after my c-sec, and I gained roughly the same amount of weight with him. I'm expecting my third now and hoping for another vaginal delivery, and I imagine he'll be around the same size as the other boys, maybe even closer to 9lbs.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
uphillskiing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My midwives did talk about "building a smaller baby" for my second, which was attempting to be a vbac. And talked about restricting carb intake. But I think they really meant don't pig out on cookies and chocolate. So it was helpful that pregnancy makes me hate chocolate and cookies made me nauseous. Plus I cross country skied 1hr several times a week right till 8 months. I was measuring small the whole time. Still gained just shy of 30lbs though and had a monster (9'12) that needed another section. But to answer your question, yes! They talked about watching weight gain but I didn't pay too much attention. Plus mothers who restrict calories during pregnancy may have children at higher risk for obesity later on.
uphillskiing is offline   Reply With Quote