View Poll Results: Which is easiest for you to birth?
Girls over boys? 1 4.76%
Smaller heads over larger heads? 6 28.57%
"good hips" 5 23.81%
Relaxed environment during labor? 15 71.43%
All of the above. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,323
My Mood:
Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Had a conversation with my sisters about head circumference and birth. Sis 1 (all girls) said she labors easily and fast because she has good hips. SIL 1 said, "I doubt it's because you have good hips, girls heads are smaller than boys heads." she added her girls (eldest three) were the easiest and that the next two boys were harder than the first three combined. SIL 2 said she had easy births and they were all boys, but that the more relaxed she was (home birth verses birthcenter birth verses hosp birth) the less painful it was. I went back to my baby book and looked at head circumference and noted that my hardest labors also had the biggest heads, but were not necessarily the biggest weights and agreed with SIL 1.

What was your experience? Were your girls easier than your boys? Or smaller heads = easier labors? Or do you think it was your surroundings that allowed you to relax more and have easier labors? Or genes?
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
DS had a HUGE head. Once his head came out, being larger than his shoulder and body width, he slid right out.

The labor itself was long and hard, but I'm almost positive had I not gotten into an accident that day and stressed myself the hell out, I wouldn't have gone into labor. So I think that was why it was so long and slow.

ETA: My head was larger than all of the boys in my family. So don't discount big headed girls

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 09-02-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,323
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
DS had a HUGE head. Once his head came out, being larger than his shoulder and body width, he slid right out.

The labor itself was long and hard, but I'm almost positive had I not gotten inti an accident that day and stressed myself the hell out, I wouldn't have gone into labor. So I think that was why it was so long and slow.

ETA: My head was larger than all of the boys in my family. So don't discount big headed girls

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
I agree that girls heads can be big too! Her boys heads were huge though, much bigger than her girls heads, and I was mostly agreeing with her in "size matters" during labor. I did read about 10 years ago that girls generally have smaller head circ. and the charts read smaller than boys. I don't know if that is true so much anymore with better health care?
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
nrsenadenos's Avatar
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 8,874
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

IMO - bigger heads = harder labors, regardless of the gender of the baby and the environment.

All of my kids have huge heads, ranging from 90th percentile to off the top of the charts. My C/S baby was "only" 9 lbs. 10 oz., but his head is in the 110th percentile and has always been. I totally blame his head size over his birth weight for the reason I couldn't push him out. And I don't think it was environment - I was relaxed, with my OB, we tried every pushing position he and the midwife in the room next door could think of, etc.
__________________
Nicole A not-very-crunchy-but-here-anyways Mommy to:
River 10/10/11 Caleb1/29/10, Shane3/31/08, Athena2/5/07,
Jasmine7/20/05
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,323
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

That was my feeling too, that big heads = longer, harder labors. My longest and hardest labor was my last. He was 16 days over due and was in the 110% for head circ. . My SIL's boys were in the 75% and had shortest labors. Boy was I green with envy LOL! My "easiest" labor was also the smallest head circ. at 95%.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
bigmamakelsey's Avatar
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,622
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

I don't know about girl vs. boy, but DS2 had a much larger head than DS1 (and weighed 8oz more) and he came out lightening fast, within 1 minute of my water breaking. I barley even had to push. I had to push HARD for about 15 minutes to birth my smaller headed baby. I only had skid mark tearing with both.
__________________
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,323
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I don't know about girl vs. boy, but DS2 had a much larger head than DS1 (and weighed 8oz more) and he came out lightening fast, within 1 minute of my water breaking. I barley even had to push. I had to push HARD for about 15 minutes to birth my smaller headed baby. I only had skid mark tearing with both.
Was your labor longer/harder before pushing? Or was it easier all around? I remember reading Indi's birth story , but I don't know anything about Lennon's.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey's Avatar
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,622
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Was your labor longer/harder before pushing? Or was it easier all around? I remember reading Indi's birth story , but I don't know anything about Lennon's.
Labor with Indi was shorter but MUCH more intense!
I lost Lennon's birth story. My laptop crashed when he was a few months old and I never had a printed copy I really should re-create it while I still remember!
__________________
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,323
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Labor with Indi was shorter but MUCH more intense!
I lost Lennon's birth story. My laptop crashed when he was a few months old and I never had a printed copy I really should re-create it while I still remember!
I only wrote down my first, and have yet to write down the other 3 . Can't win either way LOL! There is hope though, http://www.birthcenters.org/parents-...ogical-aspects , says that despite the time lapsed from when you birthed, you remember it pretty accurately years later. Birth is such a pivotal moment in your life that you'll remember most of the details.

Now I would agree with that, but I think it works differently for men. My DH likes to add crazy details to entertain the kids until they are giggling hysterically like, "When you were born you had this little tail and whiskers, that the doctor had to snip off. When we brought you home, all you wanted to eat was cheese and would squeak and squeak at us until you got some, that is why we call you Squeaky!" and I wonder LOL.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 09-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
bigmamakelsey's Avatar
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,622
My Mood:
Re: Moms of many: Head circumference Girls or Smaller sizes = Easier labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
I only wrote down my first, and have yet to write down the other 3 . Can't win either way LOL! There is hope though, http://www.birthcenters.org/parents-...ogical-aspects , says that despite the time lapsed from when you birthed, you remember it pretty accurately years later. Birth is such a pivotal moment in your life that you'll remember most of the details.

Now I would agree with that, but I think it works differently for men. My DH likes to add crazy details to entertain the kids until they are giggling hysterically like, "When you were born you had this little tail and whiskers, that the doctor had to snip off. When we brought you home, all you wanted to eat was cheese and would squeak and squeak at us until you got some, that is why we call you Squeaky!" and I wonder LOL.
That's awesome. Our DH's would get along quite well, I think!
__________________
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.