Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Anyone have a sensitive 4yo who can't deal with movies?

My 4.5yo is super sensitive. She has tv shows she likes, but sometimes it would be fun to watch a movie as a family. But we cannot find a movie she can tolerate. She gets so stressed and cries and asks to fast forward at any sign of conflict/turmoil/grumps, which pretty much every movie has! Anyone have a kid like this? Did you ever find a movie option that you can watch as a family?
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone have a sensitive 4yo who can't deal with movies?

My dd is 8 and she can only just watch movies now! And even then they are pretty fluffy ones. Barbie, those ones with the dogs like Space Dogs...

Best strategy we found was old ones from when I was a kid - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Apple Dumpling Gang, Bednobs & Broomsticks... much less drama in those.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
My dd is 8 and she can only just watch movies now! And even then they are pretty fluffy ones. Barbie, those ones with the dogs like Space Dogs...

Best strategy we found was old ones from when I was a kid - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Apple Dumpling Gang, Bednobs & Broomsticks... much less drama in those.
I think these were the best choices for us. Our kids could watch them early on and even I could sit through them.

All my kid. My daughter cried when a robot died. My son couldn't handle anything with sad endings until around 6-7. My 15 month old cried and came running to me when he saw dinosaurs eating LEAVES of all things.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. Both my kids. We can *barely* get through The Little Mermaid (Cinderella is ok), Beauty & the Beast is impossible, etc. DS is the same way. We don't do family movies yet.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My almost 3 yr old son.he is super sensitive to movies. Nemo was ok till the end, when the fish falls to the ground, then tear fest!
Callilou almsot always ends in tears. Sometimes even "yo gabba gabba". If someone gets hurt, sad, angry, loud, it can make him cry. He has been this way since infancy. I used to sing "wheels on bus"..when we would get to the "babies on the bus go wahh" he would cry if i even twisted my face up into a cry looking face. He used to cry at the sound of sneezing. He does NOT like loud noises unless he knows its coming, so to speak. Ie. if kids are going crazy and it gets louder and louder he is fine. Sudden loud noises get him.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So far, our list is toy story, cars, and the lorax.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Eloise is a good one. I don't really like Barbie, but her movies are generally pretty fluffy. The Leapfrog movies are tame but not very interesting for adults.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

My oldest was that way. I honestly can't remember watching anything but PBS kids when she was young. The good news is, she got less sensitive as she got older.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

My oldest dd is like this. She watched Up and had nightmares about the dogs chasing her for months. She is super sensitive to the thematic elements in most movies. I think its just something they outgrow, and in the meantime, he very careful with what they are exposed to. She is 6.5 now and still can't handle certain things, like the fighting saber tooth tigers in Ice Age. My son however is the opposite, he isn't scared of anything! He is 2 yrs younger than my oldest dd.

Last edited by mariamommy; 09-16-2012 at 05:18 PM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
mkrisel
Registered Users

Not there with dd yet, but I couldnt handle much as a kid. Bambi, Dumbo, Old Yeller, etc. were too much for me. Not that it solves your current problem, but I'm just fine now!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote