Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

EBF and afraid of cereal

My daughter is over 5 months old now (barely) and at her 4 month appointment her pediatrician told me I should start cereal...I didn't...I know it isn't necessary for a 4 month old to have cereal and in fact she can benefit from the wait. She listened to my feelings on it and tried to convince me it would help her reflux and yada yada yada... She said the most I should wait is until 6 months to start it. I know that's going to creep up on me fast and I probably still won't be ready. Her reasoning is that if I wait past 6 months she probably won't take it. My reasoning that I don't want to start it is because she has such bad reflux, I've read that cereal can cause the acids to sit in the base of their esophagus (sp) rather than them spitting it up and cause esophagitis (sp) She is gaining weight at a high rate as it is. At her 4 month appt she was almost 17 lbs (7 lbs at birth) I was just curious what all your veiws were on the issue so I know whether I'm alone or not on this LOL
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF and afraid of cereal

my son is 8 months.......dr told me at 4 to give cereal - i didn't! he told me at 6 months he should be on cereal, i tried for a week to give him homemade organic rice cereal.........he wouldn't have it! i tried a couple days at 7 months w/ homemade organic oats.....he wouldn't take that either! So here he is 8 months.......all he wants is bm (unless he finds it on the floor - LOL!). I'm gonna try some avocado this week.....but if he doesn't want it, I'm not gonna fight him. He's not suffering......he's tripled his weight since birth! So it's not like he's not getting what he needs.......I mean the boy has over 11" thighs
I say go with your gut, and do what feels right for you!

Jeme
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I have had EBF children not even willing to try food until 10 months. You know your baby and just "yes" Dr's if I don't agree with them and then do what I think is best....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I researched on cereal & decided not to even give it to my kiddo. It's not a valuable food like BM is. I don't think it will hurt anything. DS is 5 mos & had nothing but BM. He's also 17 lbs.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Do what you want to and what you feel is right! My son's (first but certainly not last) pedi told me to suppliment with formula right away and continued to tell me that until we switched pedis at two months. I would just smile and say, "Oh, okay" and then NEVER do it!!! Stupid docs sometimes just tell you what they've been telling patients for the last twenty years regardless of the research!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Like I said, mentally she is ready, she tries to take my food, she gets excited and "chews" watching other people eat, she really wants food, but her tummy is so sensitive that she's constantly throwing up and spitting up. I just think that if she's thriving on breastmilk alone, it shouldn't be necessary to start solids, blah, I just don't know, I'll figure it out lol
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
dee1972
Registered Users

I don't have any information or experience with reflux, but my understanding on cereal is that there is a "window". Too soon is bad, but too late can also cause them to develop allergies. I don't have any real experience with this either, but my youngest is now 14.5 months and he was my longest holdout. I didn't listen to the doctor this time and he was 6 months before he started cereal. From everything I've read 8 months seems to be at the upper limit of that "window". 6 was right for us, but it may not be for you. I would try at 6 months, but only a tablespoon or two. Then wait a few days for any reaction. If there isn't any, do it again and wait 1 day less than you did the first time. Go with your gut and good luck!

Dee
Mom to 7 on Cape Cod
dee1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

She still spits up if I give her tylenol, and a cat hair in her tummy will make her puke... So I'm just nervous about it still. Mentally she is very ready, she tries to steal my food and "chews" while she watches me eat. Gets excited and kicks and makes noise whenever she sees someone eating, but I think physically her digestion system isnt ready.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

My pedi suggested the same, cereal at 4 months. I tried but dd wouldn't have it, she has no interest in anything but breast milk. She is just over 5 months also. When I talked to the pedi about it, she said that as long as dd would take some cereal by 9 months that it would be fine. The way she explained it was that introducing food is to help prevent allergies from waiting to long and get their little tummy's use to having something solid in them. She also told me that it was only necessary for dd to have solids every 2 to 3 days as long as she was breast feeding 5 or more times per day.

I think you will know when your dd is ready, and personally I would wait till then. Just my .
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
kris10s
Registered Users

I'm holding out 'til at least 6 months with my reflux-y 5.5 month old, and will try some avacado or even possibly yogurt* first, then cereal.

* because yogurt has the cultures in it, some crunchy-type experts think it is easier on reflux-y babes than other things. We're not dairy free, but if we were I'd try soy or goat's milk yogurt.

Custom Photo Announcements & Invitations for Birthdays, Holidays, Births, Change of Address, etc!
kris10s is offline   Reply With Quote