Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy This growing up thing is hard

DD started kindergarten in the beginning of August. This morning she tells me that sometimes her classmates don't want to play with her and they tell her to go away. She's the youngest in the class (she will be 5 at the end of december) and she's shy. It makes me sad, and it's hard to hear, but I know it's part of growing up.
We agonized over whether she should go to kinder this year but she had already done 2 years of preschool and had done wonderfully that we thought she was ready. Please, no flames about this decision. Maybe we should have held her back, maybe not. I'm not sure anymore. She said she loves school and is always talking about her classmates and her classes but hearing that the kids are mean to her makes me question our decision. OTOH, I don't want to baby her and I know she has to go to school.
This morning I dropped her off and she got out of the car to walk to her class by herself. She's done it many times but for some reason she looked so little today. I just feel sad
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Is so hard isn't it? My DD just started kindergarten too and won't be 5 unt the end of November. She's really small too and is the sweetest most caring little girl. On the first day she said a boy hit her and it broke my heart. I hated sending her this year but knew she was ready. She loves school too. I think all we can do is teach them to be kind people, that sometimes people won't always be kind to us but we should do our best to treat others nicely. Also we talk about telling the teacher if kids are really mean, but in those cases where kids don't want to play with them....that's just so hard!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: This growing up thing is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Is so hard isn't it? My DD just started kindergarten too and won't be 5 unt the end of November. She's really small too and is the sweetest most caring little girl. On the first day she said a boy hit her and it broke my heart. I hated sending her this year but knew she was ready. She loves school too. I think all we can do is teach them to be kind people, that sometimes people won't always be kind to us but we should do our best to treat others nicely. Also we talk about telling the teacher if kids are really mean, but in those cases where kids don't want to play with them....that's just so hard!
Thanks. I'm glad someone understands.
She has been drawing hearts lately and coloring them and cutting them out. She said she made one and gave it to her classmate. The girl didn't say anything to DD, she just took the heart and walked away. It just breaks my heart. I don't want DD to hurt or feel sad, but at the same time I want her to learn these life lessons
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Oh it would break mine too mama! The only thing you can really do is reinforce how many people live her by reminding her every day of the various people who love her for who she is. She's lucky to have a sweet mama!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hey there Corinne76!

This is coming from a homeschooling mama who hasn't had her kids in school. Don't fret over your decision to send her to kindy this yr. She seems like a pleasant little girl and that she is doing well.

Really kids can be nasty anywhere. It could also happen at preK, at the grocery store or the park.

You seem like a very loving parent and I know you want the very best for your lovely little girl. It also seems like your DD is happy and doesn't get bothered by the unkind things that others are doing.

Just focus on all the great things about kindy and do like dancermommy1 is suggesting about telling her how she is loved by many.

Many hugs going through this. I know it's tough.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD is the oldest in her kindy class. I hate that I am not there to make sure the kids treat her nicely. There was this boy at her table who told her he was happy the day she was out sick because she annoys him. I wanted go to her school and yell at the boy for being mean to her. Luckily a new girl was put in her class and the teacher rearranged the seating so DD doesn't sit by that boy anymore.
Its tough mama but we just have to hang in there!

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
Oh it would break mine too mama! The only thing you can really do is reinforce how many people live her by reminding her every day of the various people who love her for who she is. She's lucky to have a sweet mama!
thanks. We tell her how much we love her all the time. She's very loving and is always saying "i love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hey there Corinne76!

This is coming from a homeschooling mama who hasn't had her kids in school. Don't fret over your decision to send her to kindy this yr. She seems like a pleasant little girl and that she is doing well.

Really kids can be nasty anywhere. It could also happen at preK, at the grocery store or the park.

You seem like a very loving parent and I know you want the very best for your lovely little girl. It also seems like your DD is happy and doesn't get bothered by the unkind things that others are doing.

Just focus on all the great things about kindy and do like dancermommy1 is suggesting about telling her how she is loved by many.

Many hugs going through this. I know it's tough.
THanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada87 View Post
My DD is the oldest in her kindy class. I hate that I am not there to make sure the kids treat her nicely. There was this boy at her table who told her he was happy the day she was out sick because she annoys him. I wanted go to her school and yell at the boy for being mean to her. Luckily a new girl was put in her class and the teacher rearranged the seating so DD doesn't sit by that boy anymore.
Its tough mama but we just have to hang in there!
ouch! I would be so upset. It's that mama bear things isn't it? we just want to protect the heck out of our kids
Old 09-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Papayamom
Registered Users

Such a tough transition year. My second started K this year too and it's hard to watch I miss her so much. One thing we found helpful with our first is to ask her who she wants to be friends with and then make sure to invite that child over multiple times to help with the friendship. I would take an active role in the playdates too making sure we had a craft and a few other activities ready to go, sometimes it is hard for them to come up with things they want to do. Our school also offers afterschool activities like dance and that really helped too. I have found the teachers to be really responsive to this type of issue as well. K is so much about socializing that most Kindergarten teachers are really aware. Call or email your concerns and the teacher may be able to help pair her up with a kid that would make a good friend. Hang in there
Papayamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Being the oldest in the class is no piece of cake either. It seems great in Kindy but when you're the first to get a bra that's no fun either!!

What most of the moms here do in kindy is start 'creating' friendships for the kids. Organize playdates and help her make friends.

The kids don't even realize they are being unkind. It's totally possible some are too shy or lack the vocabulary to even say what they thought about the heart she gave them. kwim?
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
Being the oldest in the class is no piece of cake either. It seems great in Kindy but when you're the first to get a bra that's no fun either!!

What most of the moms here do in kindy is start 'creating' friendships for the kids. Organize playdates and help her make friends.

The kids don't even realize they are being unkind. It's totally possible some are too shy or lack the vocabulary to even say what they thought about the heart she gave them. kwim?
thanks for this perspective.
Ive been asking her if she's been playing with the kids and she said yes. She mostly plays with one girl. and no one has been mean to her lately.