Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier?

So I wore ds for 7 hours on Sat in the sling and Gemini and then for 6 hours on Sunday in the Gemini. I can barely move my neck or shoulders today!

Is anyone able to wear their baby that long without pain? What carrier?
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier?

ouch! 7 hours in a ring sling would do that to me for sure! i love my ring sling, but the one-shouldered carry is just not something i like to do for very long at one time and my current wearee is only about 11-12 lbs.

i could probably do a ssc for that long (i have a bbII) since the weight isn't all on 1 shoulder. but i dunno, 2 days in a row, essentially all day long, that's a lot of wearing. if you're not used to it, i think that would hurt regardless of what carrier you used. also, i always find that i can handle a back carry for quite awhile longer than a front carry. i can't wait until dd is big enough to do a back carry with. front carries just annoy me and pull at my shoulders after awhile. ds is 30 lbs and sometimes it's almost easier to wear him on my back than it is to wear her on my front. the weight just seems to be better distributed like that.

anyways, more than any one thing, i'd say it was a combo of things. and ultimately, no matter what/how you wear your lo, if you do for that long, 2 days in a row, i think some soreness is inevitable. hope you feel better!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've gone 5 hours in my mei tei 2 days in a row and hurt for ages afterwards...I can't imagine comfortably wearing baby for longer multiple days in a row. I do have a mei tei with wrap straps now that is a bit more comfy but haven't tried wearing for that long yet. I would think something with wide shoulders would be more comfy than thin shoulders. I've heard carriers with a padded wrap strap are the best but haven't tried them myself.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas, it was Sat in both the wrap and Gemini, but he is quite heavy so I'd guess I should figure out some good ways to carry him on my back from now on! Do you think a wrap carry would work better because it won't be just the two straps holding him? I can never get the waist belt tight enough on the Gemini because it doesn't go small enough so I think that's part of the problem too!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only sort of carrier I would ever even consider doing that with would be a frame pack from Deuter, Osprey, Kelty, of Vaude. I would never do that in a pack that wasn't designed by a backpacking company.

Also, the "waist belt" is supposed to sit on the upward curve of your hips. Just so you know. x_x'
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ducky View Post
The only sort of carrier I would ever even consider doing that with would be a frame pack from Deuter, Osprey, Kelty, of Vaude. I would never do that in a pack that wasn't designed by a backpacking company.

Also, the "waist belt" is supposed to sit on the upward curve of your hips. Just so you know. x_x'
It's different for everyone, but I am way more comfortable carrying our 23 pound toddler all day in my kinder pack than the kelty. I didn't find the kelty especially comfy, but it does let me carry some gear plus the baby to lighten my husband's load when we are backpacking. I stopped using the kelty for anything besides overnight backpacking trips in 2006 when I got my ergo. I have since owned a beco butterfly, a boba, an angel pack, a babyhawk oh snap, and a kinderpack. I absolutely love my kinderpack!

OP, I would avoid the ring sling for anything longer than 30 minutes. Two shouldered carries are so much easier on you back and neck! When my oldest was born, I had the kelty and the ring sling. I wore him a lot and hurt a lot. I was gifted the ergo while pregnant with ds2 and was completely comfortable wearing almost constantly for 6 months and several hours a day for another 1.5 years. I have tried all the above carriers with dd and none come close to my kp. I recommend trying one if you get the chance.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I've really even looking into a Kinderpack and think I will get one in the winter once ds can fit in the standard size. A lot of people are suggesting Manduca as well so I'm thinking of looking into that, but definitely the fact that KP has petite size straps look appealing!

Last edited by Dancy Baby; 09-29-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Last July when DS was 21 months I wore him (and swayed/bounced) for 6 hours one day and 4 the next. The only thing sore were my calves from swaying/bouncing from side to side, lol. He was in a Kinderpack.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
BuckeyeHokieMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ergo does well for us for about 3 hours; anything longer and I'm wishing for my Kelty!
BuckeyeHokieMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That IS a long period of time Were you wearing on your back? I find that is a lot easier on you than on your front. Longer periods the ring sling is out for us.

I do find back wrapping distributes it a bit nicer than a lot of SSCs. I don't back wrap out of the house a lot, but if I'm going to have her up a long time I go to the effort of using a wrap.

Though 7 hours I think you'll feel it no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ducky View Post

No, most SSCs are designed to be at the natural waist, or at least say to use anywhere that works best for you, not just the top of the hips