Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bleeding after c-section?

My LO has been breech, and so there's obviously a possibility that I may have to have a c-section. We haven't tried a version yet, and it isn't for sure, but I'm just trying to think ahead and cover all the what if's. So, I have a dumb question: do you have vaginal bleeding after a c-section, like you do with a vaginal delivery, or do you not start bleeding until your first period shows up? I'm wondering if I need to stock up on pads if I do have a c-section. Thanks, and sorry to sound ignorant!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

You still bleed. I didn't notice a huge difference in the amount with my c section or vbac.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

I did have bleeding after a csection, but it was never major. I wasn't sure if that was because of the surgery, or the breastfeeding.
flufflovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I bled more after my first section then after my vaginal births, and moderately after my second. . .I thought I would bleed less so I was kinda shocked. But I did have to walk back and forth to the NICU not having as much down time as most women might.

Sent from my phone, excuse any typos.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bleeding after c-section?

With my c-section birth, I bled less postpartum than I did during pregnancy (my placenta was trying to abrupt for several weeks before the birth, causing bleeding). It was about the same as for my vaginal births.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes you still bleed because your oft had to get all the baby goo out . I had c/s twice now and I have to say my second was more then the first but my first baby was 6.4 and my second 9.4 sooooooo lol
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep! If I recall, the bleeding is from the placenta detaching from the uterine wall, and that happens either way. So you still have a good excuse to stock up on some mama cloth, lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think there's misinformation out there that they give you sort of a D&C when you've had a cesarean. That's not true. They detach the placenta and make sure there's no membranes inside but you still have a typical lochia flow after the baby. I will tell you though, you'll want to use their mattress-pad thingies the first week or so after you deliver because with all the laying down/sitting that you will be doing in the first few days as you recover it will come out of you in a huge rush when you stand. It's gross and there's just nothing that can contain it that quickly. I've had four cesareans.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I think there's misinformation out there that they give you sort of a D&C when you've had a cesarean. That's not true. They detach the placenta and make sure there's no membranes inside but you still have a typical lochia flow after the baby. I will tell you though, you'll want to use their mattress-pad thingies the first week or so after you deliver because with all the laying down/sitting that you will be doing in the first few days as you recover it will come out of you in a huge rush when you stand. It's gross and there's just nothing that can contain it that quickly. I've had four cesareans.

Thanks for this piece of advice...that's something I wouldn't have known, and would have found out unpleasantly!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
HotPotato1010
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingingrace View Post
[/B]

Thanks for this piece of advice...that's something I wouldn't have known, and would have found out unpleasantly!
Yes, that is definitely good advice. I wish I had taken more of those big pads home with my first baby. I underestimated how great they were at containing the flow!

I've had 2 c-section and bled for both the same as moms with vbac/vaginal births. The bleeding isn't from pushing the baby out vaginally, it's your body's way of shedding blood and stuff from the pregnancy/birth.

It can last pretty long, too. With my 1st pregnancy, the bleeding lasted 8 weeks (towards the end, it lightened up but was still there!). With my 2nd, it lasted 7 weeks. So annoying!
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote