Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:
Homebirthing

Any crazies other than me, yet?
ElsieCayare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirthing

I would love to! I live in a state where it is not "allowed" and the closest midwife that I know of lives about an hour away, but I am really thinking about doing it this time. (I've had two unmedicated hospital births).
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't know that any states didn't allow it. I know that there is a rabid state senator in Michigan who is trying to make it near to impossible here.

I had a good experience with it, other than having to be transferred afterwards for 2nd degree tears that were too close to my cervix to fix at home.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I would like one, but the hospital we'd have to transfer to is 30 minutes away and I'm just not comfortable with that.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
tricia17lee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
I would like one, but the hospital we'd have to transfer to is 30 minutes away and I'm just not comfortable with that.
I would seriously consider it but the nearest hospitals are not options for me. Last time I chose midwives and birthed an hour away and loved the care there, so ill be returning to them this time around. Birth center within a hospital with midwives- natural birth. It was the best of both worlds- I was so comfortable there I wasn't anxious to leave. It felt like a hotel!

The other issue with home birth for me is our health insurance won't cover any of the costs so the midwife and supplies would be out of pocket as opposed to fully covered like at the hospital.
tricia17lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia17lee View Post
I would seriously consider it but the nearest hospitals are not options for me. Last time I chose midwives and birthed an hour away and loved the care there, so ill be returning to them this time around. Birth center within a hospital with midwives- natural birth. It was the best of both worlds- I was so comfortable there I wasn't anxious to leave. It felt like a hotel!

The other issue with home birth for me is our health insurance won't cover any of the costs so the midwife and supplies would be out of pocket as opposed to fully covered like at the hospital.
This is my plan too!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:

Understandable. We're 7 minutes from the "Horspital" (they don't do deliveries, just give old people oxygen from what I can gather - I went in for a pregnancy blood panel once and they thought it was supposed to be a spinal tap), 25 minutes from an OK hospital, and an hour from the hospital that my midwife works at.

It was an hour in a MONSOON to get stitched up after DS. Then we got home, and didn't have any electricity or water (we live on an ex-Amish farm). Luckily, FIL showed up to hook up the generator, as we were all to tired to figure it out.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:
My insurance ended 3 days before DS was born but they covered about 80% of the midwifery care. I think we paid about 2K out of pocket

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DS Forum
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
NaturalCOMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes! I did a free standing birthing center with my first, but we are planning a home birth this time. I'm going to be calling midwives tomorrow to start interviewing! Any advice to pick a midwife?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would absolutely love to, but DH is completely NOT on board. He agreed to a birthing center with DS3, but we were very put off by the service we received when we went to check it out. So, it's a hospital again for us. I'm lucky to have had all positive hospital experiences though.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote