Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Carseats and oxygen levels, a question!

I've read the data about carseats lowering babies oxygen levels but was wondering if there was a difference in oxygen levels between different carseats? We were planning to skip the infant seat with baby #2 and get a RXT like we did for our DD, but baby boy has some health concerns that will effect his oxygen levels. Are infant seats better than a convertible in this regard or is there no real difference? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just have so little control in this situation I guess I am trying to control what I can. Any help is appreciated.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Carseats and oxygen levels, a question!

If your convertible reclines enough, I don't think there should be an issue. From what I understand, the oxygen levels drop because the baby's airway is closed off somewhat by their head angle.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

The seat has to be at a 45 degree angle no matter if it is a convertable or bucket seat. Any convertible should be able to get that angle but some will be harder to install properly. With a radian you should have no trouble getting a great recline!

Eta so sorry about your lo's health concerns.

Last edited by newmommy13; 09-28-2012 at 02:28 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
jennyfa
Registered Users

My daughter had oxygen concerns at birth due to low tone. She passed the carseat test with both the convertible and infant car seat. The doctors actually preferred the convertible, because even though she passed, they didn't want us keeping her in it for long periods of time (no falling asleep in it and bringing it in the house and leaving her in it or leaving her in it in shopping carts, etc.) There shouldn't be a problem as long as it's installed at the correct angle and they use it in the correct angle during the test to ensure it's safe.
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies, I will stick with our plans to get another Radian then!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
crunch!910
Registered Users

Our Radian has AWESOME recline angle! And, if you skip the infant, you won't be tempted to let baby sleep in it after bringing them in. I admit, on really, really difficult days I gave into tempation of getting some quiet time to myself and leaving baby sleep in carseat. That said, we do get really bad head slump with our 5 month old, even with a very reclined Radian (but my baby was never small enough to fit the infant insert, which I think would help with that).
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know from the nurse who worked on getting the information out, as well as a number of parents, that different seats CAN affect a baby's O2 sats differently. Because each baby is different, each baby will fit in a seat differently. Where one baby may not have issues in a particular seat, another baby may desat quickly in that particular seat. But I think going convertible is a great choice, as baby is guaranteed to only be in the seat while in the car. And keep an open mind and an open eye. If you notice signs of labored breathing in a particular seat, be open to trying other seats if necessary to find a better fit for you sweet boy.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
jennyfa
Registered Users

Also, there may be positioning things you can do to help the baby maintain their position better. Even in her infant car seat, we had to roll up receiving blankets on the side of her head and use a towel in between her feet to keep her in position. The one thing I loved about our hospital (and I don't say that about many things there!) is that one of the NICU nurses who does the carseat oxygen test is a CPST, so she made sure that we were using those "extras" as safely as possible because she did need them for a while.
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are these as well, if your DS ends up having serious issues in the car seat. These have been tested my M'Liss Stelzer in terms of preventing desats, and I do know someone who used them with success. I cannot speak to their safety in use in a car seat though.

http://www.snuggingo.com/snuggingo.com/Snuggin_Go.html
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies for your input! I looked a pictures of my DD in her Radian, this is her at 10 days old:
S she had a bit of head slump. I am not sure what to do. I know the new Radians have different infant inserts now, maybe it would be enough to keep him in a good position or maybe I'd need to roll up receiving blankets to keep his head from slumping. The big issue for him is blood flow to the lungs and they say for kids with TOF to put their knees up to their chest to increase the blood flow to the lungs, so maybe if I could get is legs sort of in that position that would be good. I don't know. We have appointments with the cardiologist and MFM this Friday so maybe I will see if they can give me seem information on this too or see if I can talk to a NICU nurse at the hospital we'll be at and see what they say. Thanks for your help and input ladies