Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
1994 Suzuki Kidekick

Was just asked a question by a friend. We are in Canada where top tethering is mandatory. They just bought a 94 sidekick and manual says do not use a car seat that requires top tether as there is no tether anchor in this vehicle. I asked if the car was an import from the US and it is not. Now am I wrong or should there not be an anchor or at least a predrilled location for one? I thought they were required by by this point. If not can one be retrofitted?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1994 Suzuki Kidekick

By any chance is it a car from the US? If so then it would not be unusual for it to not have a top tether anchor.

I can check my LATCH manual when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it is just for the US and is unlikely to have information about Canada. Your friend can call a Suzuki dealership or the manufacturer themselves and see what they say about retrofitting a top tether anchor.

If all else fails, your friend can get a convertible seat that can be used rear facing until the child is booster-ready. Unless the child is unusually large for his/her age, there should be a convertible that will last long enough rear facing, although it might be $$$.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope it is not an import. I think I said that in the initial post because that was my first thought and I did ask.

I did read somewhere in my search that convertibles are not required to have top anchors. So if this is true then the question is can it be retrofitted.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
We also do not have a Suzuki dealership locally. What is their sister company???? GMC???
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: 1994 Suzuki Kidekick

Most vehicles made after 1989 are pre-drilled. Some are excluded from that, though. Someone with a LATCH manual can tell you the specifics
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
So she found something that appears to be an anchor. I don't know if it is a proper anchor or if it isn't. I will post a pic later and maybe someone with a latch manual can tell me if this is suitable.

Due to the manual explicitly stating not to use an anchored car seat I am going to assume if it is an anchor that its a retrofit. Just want to make sure it is a correct retro fit ad not just dad drilled in to the metal and screwed on a hook.