Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I guess nothing works forever

I have been so stash content for the past 9 months. I have been using Thirsties Duo hemp prefolds trifolded into Flips, and I thought I would never have to buy another diaper again.

Sigh.

DD is 13 months now, and oh SO very mobile. Apparently the Thirsties is bunching inside the Flip and when she pees, it all runs out the sides. I have the legs tight enough with no gaping, but the pee is hitting the PUL not the hemp. I guess its because Flips are so dang wide.

She has been walking since 10 months, but we just started having this problem this month, I suppose because the full on running and climbing has started.

I am back to using pinned prefolds, which is not my ideal system for my impatient toddler and our busy lifestyle. I suppose I am going to restash my pockets, since the 5 pockets I have now (all different brands) work great stuffed with the Thirsties duos and no peeing out the sides.

I just wanted to lament somewhere people would get it. I had such a good, long run of being stash content - with a very minimalist, inexpensive stash at that!
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I guess nothing works forever

I wonder if there is a way to add snaps to your covers/inserts to help them stay into place. Otherwise maybe something with fleece or suedecloth on the inside wouldn't be as slippery, or maybe a cover in a smaller size?

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I tried the Grovia shells and there is a lot I love about those, including how the insert never shifts and they are trimmer through the legs, but they leave horrible red marks on dd's very chubby thighs.

I have one Capri that I haven't had any problems with, but they are so darn expensive, and I wasn't fast enough at the seconds sale.

I can't do aplix because that's just an invitation to dd to hide, poop, and take her diaper off. Ha!

I'm totally open to spam and suggestions, though.

I am hesitant to go back to pockets because I love my easy wash routine so much, but I figure I can tone down the bleach and cope if I must.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
mamaspice
Registered Users

How about the BG 4.0 seconds that are on sale right now? $11 with no insers, but you have inserts. You can lay in or use as a pocket. And you ready know they will fit because they are cut just like the flips!

This is my night time combo, btw.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was having similar issues w/ours but I've started just folding them in half. This works beautifully for us. You might try it before re-stashing? I just make sure the seam is perpendicular to DS as that seems like it would be the least intrusive.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

The hemp may have a bit of detergent build up. Maybe you could try a couple extra hot washes with vinegar?
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do u trifold the thirsties hemp inserts? If so, turn them inside out and double them over instead. Makes them wider. Hth
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
MotoMommaNH
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
Do u trifold the thirsties hemp inserts? If so, turn them inside out and double them over instead. Makes them wider. Hth
Yep, I turn mine inside out and then either angel wing fold or double them over. Angel wing usually works great but I know what you mean about the bunching.
Try that out before you destash!! They really are a great insert, so soft and absorbent!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

It's not build up or any issues with my wash routine, that much I am certain of.

I am going to try folding them differently like you guys suggest, I can't believe that didn't occur to me. I guess I'm stuck in a diapering rut.

I was super tempted by the BG seconds, but I think if I'm going to switch back to pockets I want something trimmer. I used BGOS for so many years with DS, I think I'm still bored with them!