Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
MomandE
Registered Users
seller

So I switched over from prefolds and megaroos and covers to Alvas for my wiggly 20 month old. I don't know if he's peeing more or what but I'm having leaks left and right. Perhaps they don't hold as much as I thought. I'm changing him every 1 1:2 to 2 hrs. But if we go beyond that he leaks. I guess I'm used to prefolds and covers which never leaked for me... I'm frustrated and I even ordered more before this started happening , now I wish I hadn't ..

They are easy .... If they work. They are all brand new and prepped. My mil who uses the few bum genius pockets never has leaks with those except this week with everything leaking.

I'm adding some extra soakers into each one when I stuff it for this next round but we had another leak with that too.

He is drinking more, I just didn't think it was THAT much

Last edited by MomandE; 10-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.
MomandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
CaraJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New alvas leaking

I know some of my friends that have sons say that ALVAs leak for them as well. They attribute it to the quality of their inserts. However, we haven't had a problem with our daughter (she's 10 months). He's probably just wetting more than usual.
CaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
jfkmama
Registered Users

You can trifold the prefolds & stuff the Alva's with them. It's a little bulky but nice and absorbant.
jfkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only have 1 Alva now, but I stuff it with a prefold when I use it. I had a bunch of the Alva 4.0s and they didn't fit DS well at all and I sold them all. They are ok quality for the price, but I just decided that I wanted to stick with what I *knew* worked for us (BG 4.0, Freetimes and Flips).
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkmama View Post
You can trifold the prefolds & stuff the Alva's with them. It's a little bulky but nice and absorbant.
HAHA wow I just realized I spend waaaay too much time on Facebook... I just tried to "like" your comment lol!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
MommaMal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to double stuff my Alvas and I dried them on hot once every couple of months or so. I know some mamas say that sealing PUL is a myth but it definitely seemed to be necessary with the Alvas. Good luck!
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you using the MF inserts that come with the Alvas? If so, I would try stuffing them with something else... flats or prefolds. It seems like people love the Alva pocket diaper but not the insert...
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
MegBee
Registered Users
seller

I liked the fit of alvas but they always leaked. No matter what was inside them. I attribute it to the outer cover. Just didn't work for us.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
MomandE
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your replies ladies! I've decided to stuff them with prefolds and see how they do. I'm hoping this will work. I have flats I can try too but I know prefolds hold a lot. I'm love the ease of just snapping on a diaper rather then pinning prefold then putting a cover on, on a wiggly monster toddler.

I'll report back once I see how things are working.

Oh and I did add an insert to each one this last time and I had one leak , they were all soaked through when I took the inserts out after. I just need something that holds more I think.
MomandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Their inserts are crap and don't hold much. I either use a prefold or use their insert with a hemp doubler.
lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote