Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

but I dont like to read...

Its soooooo hard to get my 9 year old to read. She claims she doesn't like to read.. However
1) she reads well she reads at least on grade level probably a few years above so the simple act of reading is not hard

2) she LOVES hearing books I read to her a lot she does books on tape a lot, all fine and good way to still expose her to good literature etc but reading is also good

3) EVERYTIME I have insisted that she read she has enjoyed it EVERY darn time, yet its still this constant battle..

Honestly I'm also convienced she has just decided it some "cool" thing to say she doesn't like to read.. Like she hears it from her friends then repeats it to me...

Still she needs to be reading gobs more than she does now I'm tired of the whinning and acting like I'm making her do some awful task. I dont really care what as long as its age appropiate. but all I get is how much how long and she will stall and whine and do as little as possible.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: but I dont like to read...

Do you have a set time for independent reading every day? Maybe set a 30 minute block of time every day and have that be her reading time. Does your little one still nap? I was thinking that if she did, you can set the reading time during that time and you can read as well (setting an example while getting in some reading of your own).

ETA: You wouldn't have to start out with 30 minutes. You can start out with 5 minutes if that's all she can handle and build up from there. Once you reach the desired time, keep it at that, and have her do it every day. Then she doesn't have to ask "how much", "how long", etc. She will just know. I doubt that will stop all the whining, but it's a start at getting her into reading every day.

Last edited by rverrone11; 10-09-2012 at 12:26 AM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

yes we do have a set time she still spends the whole time saying how much how long drives me batty.. A nap with my toddler is kinda hit or miss these days but she does see me reading a ton same with DH so she is well exposed and again we read to her a lot. Its jsut getting her to read.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

have you tried a variety of genres? (graphic novels, magazines, different types of fiction, nonfiction, etc.?)

have you asked her what it is about reading she doesn't like?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
have you tried a variety of genres? (graphic novels, magazines, different types of fiction, nonfiction, etc.?)

have you asked her what it is about reading she doesn't like?
yes she tend st to gravitate more towards like how to books or non fiction stuff which is totally fine with me, once she gets reading about something she gets into it pretty well, but she still fusses and fights every other moment and wont ever do it on her own.

She jsut tells me its not her thing.. as far as her reasoning.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would set a timer- that way there is no excuse for asking how much longer!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post

I read to the kids before bedtime almost every single night. I haven't set aside a designated reading time for them to read alone yet because they pick up books throughout the day and read. Well ds reads and dd "reads."
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post
we do it does nothing to help the whinning or how long questions.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To help a child gain the love of learning I have read over and over that you must let them read what ever they want with no expectation that they will be tested on the material read. Magazines/comics/novels, whatever they want. Also they should see their parents reading for fun regularly. My 8 year old loves to be read too even though she can read and I have been told this is totally fine. A lot of upper elementary teachers read to their students in class.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
To help a child gain the love of learning I have read over and over that you must let them read what ever they want with no expectation that they will be tested on the material read. Magazines/comics/novels, whatever they want. Also they should see their parents reading for fun regularly. My 8 year old loves to be read too even though she can read and I have been told this is totally fine. A lot of upper elementary teachers read to their students in class.
sigh... Again yea we do ALL of this DH and I read ALL the time she always sees us reading. We also read to her ALL the time her content is not limited and all I meant about age appropiate was that she wasn't spending the 30 required timed minutes reading her 2 year old sisters pat the bunny books, I want her reading at her level (or with in a grade or so) she can do book magazine comics ect and we have a huge variety of these. We also go to the liabary every week she has to be forced to even open a book. All we have done has been pointless. Hoenstly if I really saw that she truly disliked reading I'd probably jsut push through the required time and not really worry. Its beyond frustrating though that she LIKES the books once she actually opened them but then all I hear after or before is whine whine whine. That and its like she remembers while reading oh wait I'm sosposed to hate this MOM!